D I C I O T T O

"I can't believe I haven't seen you guys in over two weeks," Cecilia said on the phone. She leaned back, using the bark of the tree for support. Yesterday, she'd figured out that in the gardens, near a specific tree, she did have enough reception to be able to call to Alaska to her family, but they hadn't answered the phone then.

"I know, honey, it's a long time," her mother said. Though it wasn't exactly the same as in real life, she loved to hear her mother's soothing voice. Even if it filled her with a feeling of homesickness she hadn't experienced before.

Absentmindedly, she plucked the towel she was laying on in the grass. "I miss you."

"We all miss you too," Esmee replied. "But tell me, what did you do these last couple of days?"

"Well, last week Demetri took me out to dinner in Italy and I was wearing this beautiful red dress, but the last couple of days he's been away for quite a lot on these last-minute jobs and now I'm stuck with either Alec or Jane as a baby-sitter," she said, giving Alec, who was reading a book opposite of her, a nasty glance. The vampire only stuck up his middle finger in response. "In fact, Alec is sticking up his middle finger right now."

"Sounds like you have your hands full," Esmee chuckled.

"I do," Cecilia replied. "I've been catching on with school work these last couple of days, but it's really the last thing I want to do now I'm in Italy."

"Hmm, that's something new. You used to be on top of everything," Esmee said. "Something to do with a certain someone?"

Cecilia was taken aback for a moment, wondering what exactly her mother was asking her. "No," she blurted out. She noticed the sudden smirk Alec was wearing and now it was her turn to flip him a middle finger.

"Okay, if you say so, sweetheart, no need to get defensive."

"I'm not being defensive."

"You so are," she heard Emmett yell over the telephone.

"Go kill a bear," she called back. "You know what, mom, I really need to go now. I'll talk to you later, love you."

Not waiting for a response, she hung up the phone and stuffed it away in the pocket of the dress she was wearing. Her gaze shifted to Alec, who was already looking at her like he was thoroughly entertained. She raised a single eyebrow, and the vampire shifted his eyes to the book in front of him.

"That's right," she muttered, moving to stand up straight. "I'm going to the kitchen for a second."

"Alright, good luck finding something disgusting," Alec called after her.

The kitchen was right next to the exit which lead to the gardens, which meant that Alec could stay right outside while she made something to eat. Checking out the fridge, which didn't contain a whole lot, she decided on an apple and grabbed a knife to cut it in pieces.

Just as she removed the core of the apple, she heard two voices down the hall. One sent a shiver down her spine, the other she recognized as Heidi's. Aside from Heidi dressing her up almost a week ago, she didn't have much contact with the woman, but Cecilia thought she was very likeable, though that might also be due to her gift.

"I don't understand what your problem is, Heidi," she heard Demetri say. She instantly noticed the tone of his voice, agitated and so unlike him. "You know I'd back off if the roles were reversed."

Frowning, she laid down the kitchen knife silently, moving to the entrance of the kitchen. She leaned against the wall, her eyes trailing over Demetri's back. He was wearing his Guard uniform, including the cloak she stole every once and then when he was gone. She wanted to go to him, ask him how his job went, but she felt like she was intruding on something private.