That Layla wasn't a danger right now, just an annoyance.

As long as any mention of Doe didn't leave her mouth, I should be good.

That much every part of me could agree upon, and thus I was fine as I was.

Well, in that aspect, at least.

Whereas outwardly I was stiff as a board, probably just looking like a nervous little boy at his first ball to anyone looking at me.

I took a subtle sidestep before she started speaking.

"Sorry for meeting up with you late," She began, dusting off her dress as if she had gotten it dirty, "You know how preparation can get hectic last minute."

She glanced at Nico, and then me, neither of us saying anything in response.

For a very awkward amount of time.

"Anyway," She eventually broke the silence herself, "Xander, you look nice."

'Xander'

She never called me Alex when it wasn't just the two of us... and Doe.

That fact used to stir some sort of petty jealousy out of me, but now... Of all things, I was grateful for it.

I felt like even hearing that name right now would make me feel sick.

Hearing my own name...

"Thank you. As do you," I managed, speaking purely out of regulation.

Like I was just on autopilot again.

I shook it from my mind, trying to get myself to focus through all of these deploring realizations.

She did look nice...

She was in a baby pink gown that hugged itself tight to her body with small chrystals raining down from her waistline.

Her hair was just in light waves running down her back.

And yet I felt indifferent.

All it did was make me wonder what masterpiece of an outfit Doe would have put together if she had wanted to attend, and ache even further at the fact that she wasn't here.

She was amazing with that sort of thing, yet I've never seen her in a dress.

"You as well, Prince," She spoke to Nico.

He quirked up a brow at the sudden title.

It was strange to hear it when we weren't in our territories.

And if we did, it was just a sign of deep respect, even more so for the true heir.

Respect I knew that Lord Bronwyn didn't have for us. We were well aware that he despised our residence here.

In... certain instances it could be portrayed as disrespectful to the Lord, Lady, and offspring that did have royal blood in this territory.

Though Lucien had referred to me the same way, his sounded genuine. Enough so that I didn't even think twice about it when it happened.

Her's just sounded... off.

Almost pandering in a sense.

I'm sure Nico had no issue catching on to that.

In all honestly, it was really nothing new. I just actually paid attention and saw it for what it was this time.

"I know," was his blunt response.

My lips quirked upwards as I tried to hide the sudden amusement Nico's response pulled from me.

I straightened the tie that definitely didn't need straightening again to play it off, finishing off the blood in this glass.