36. Snowfilled Days

Beginne am Anfang

"I've only read about such things," Mikael said. "To live through that... To experience it..." He shook his head. "I don't think I'd be strong enough."

He studied Estelle's precious features. She was looking at her hands, tracing the shadows that wove in between her fingers. He couldn't imagine what a life without her would look like. What her death would feel like. He rubbed his chest subconsciously, reaching for that glowing tether.

Mikael leaned forward, cupping her cheek in his hand. Estelle closed her eyes as he kissed her. She wrapped her arms around his neck, holding onto him as he guided her onto her back. She readjusted her wings without breaking off their kiss. Mikael dragged his hand down her waist and onto her thigh. Estelle gave a breathless gasp as he lifted her knee to his hips.

He pulled his kisses away from her mouth and traced her jawline with his lips. Estelle's fingers threaded through his hair as she tipped her head back. She nudged his head down towards her throat. A laugh rumbled in Mikael's chest as he obliged her. He kissed the length of her throat and let his tongue follow the divot of her collarbone. She shivered and squirmed beneath him.

Estelle's breaths were light and hot against his forehead. Her chest heaved as his kisses fell below her collarbone. Mikael didn't touch the neckline of her jumpsuit, but kissed only the bronze skin he could see. Estelle's hands left his hair and slipped beneath his shirt. She scraped her nails over his shoulder blades. He gave a small instinct flap of his wings at the sensation.

"Should I shield the room?" He whispered against her neck. "Or do you want me to stop?"

Estelle kissed his temple and swallowed hard. "I...I don't know," she breathed. "We haven't reached this point before."

Mikael lifted his head, nuzzling her cheek with his nose. "If you don't know, then we'll stop. I'm not going to do anything until you're certain."

Estelle smiled with a nod. He laid his head atop her chest and she began to play with the ends of his hair. Mikael measured his breaths, increasingly aware of his rapid heartbeat. Estelle's kept pace with his own, throbbing beneath his ear. He closed his eyes with a smile and tightened his arms around her.

◦═══✦═══◦

Morning dawned with howling winds and swirling snow. Estelle helped Celeste and Sienna in the small sliver of a kitchen, making cups of cinnamon apple cider. Lysander, Corbin, and Calden were attempting to stoke the fire and line the cracks around the base of the walls with cloth to keep the heat from seeping out.

The door blew open as Mikael and Nyx returned. Snow was caked to their wings and hair. Mikael fluffed his feathers out and clumps of snow fell from them. Nyx shook out his own wings and with a snap of Mikael's fingers, the snow was gone.

"Devlon thinks this storm will last most of the week," Nyx said. "He's going to move those of us in the shabbier huts into better housing. We have permission to return to Velaris until training can continue. Calden and Mikael, you'll stay with my parents and I. Celeste, Sienna, you can go with Lysander and Estelle."

"Lys and I could stay with you guys," Corbin pointed out. "So we don't feel left out."

"I wouldn't feel left out," Lysander laughed, approaching Celeste. He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her cheek.

"I would. That's why I suggest we join our fellow males," Corbin rolled his eyes.

Nyx nodded. "I agree. We'll leave when everyone is ready."

Estelle handed Mikael a cup of cider as she followed him back to their room. She sipped her own before pulling a satchel out from beneath her bed. Estelle gathered up her belongings and folded them into the satchel.

Half an hour later, they had all gathered in the main room again. Estelle kissed Mikael before grabbing onto Celeste and Sienna. Shadows folded over them, carrying them away from the snow capped mountains and all the way to the townhouse in Velaris.

Snow blanketed the ground here as well, but it was falling in gentle flakes, unlike the roaring blizzard in the mountains. Celeste and Sienna followed her inside. "Mom! Dad!" Estelle called.

Seren poked her head out of the library. "What are you doing here? Azriel is off doing something for Rhys."

"Devlon said we could come to Velaris until the blizzard in Windhaven passes. Celeste and Sienna will stay here and the males are staying at Rhys and Feyre's, if that's all right."

"Of course." Seren joined them as they started up the stairs. "There are spare bedrooms near Estelle's. You two can choose whichever ones you'd like. I'll spark the fires once you've decided."

They reached the second floor of the house and Seren led Celeste and Sienna to the spare bedrooms. They examined each room in turn. "I'll stay in this one," Celeste announced.

"I'll take the other." Sienna vanished into the room she'd chosen.

Estelle waited in the hallway while her mother entered Sienna's room. She lit a flaming ball above her hand and tossed it into the fireplace. Logs snapped as they exploded into fire. Sienna grinned and Seren ducked into Celeste's room, lighting her fire next.

"I'll be downstairs if you need anything," Seren called when she had finished. She pressed a kiss to Estelle's forehead and headed down the stairs.

Celeste emerged from her room and gripped Estelle's arm. "You should show us how to paint like you do. Lys was explaining it to me a while ago and I've wanted to try it ever since." Sienna nodded enthusiastically.

"All right." Estelle led her friends into the art studio. They wandered around while she set up a third easel and retrieved canvases for each of them.

Sienna gasped, suddenly, and Celeste burst into laughter. Estelle glanced up in time to see Celeste turn a painting back around. "That's your dad?" Sienna's eyes were wide. Celeste laughed even harder.

"Yes, yes. My dad has an impressive wingspan. I've heard all about it before," Estelle replied, rolling her eyes with a smile.

"Impressive?" Celeste scoffed. "That is an understatement. I wish I was your mom."

Estelle shuddered. "That's too weird to even consider."

"What would Lysander say?" Sienna scolded.

Celeste laughed again. "I don't know, but I certainly hope he takes after Azriel in more ways than one."

Estelle slapped a palm to her forehead. "I don't even know what to say to that."