Soft (Van McCann)

AN: Just a tiny little bit of fluff as I'm feeling super soft 💕

The sky's black velvet scattered over with a myriad of stars, a stain of violet on the horizon signalling the oncoming dawn. You've not slept, curled up in your seat in the window wrapped in a soft blanket, cradling a steaming hot cup of coffee.

Coffee isn't the only thing keeping you awake. Van's due back from tour and the flurry of excitement which simmers in your gut will never allow you to get even a minute's rest until you know he's back where he's meant to be. Home safe and in your arms.

The quiet sound of a distant car makes you sit upright, ears pricked and straining. You live on a quiet coastal road which is rarely traversed in the small hours of the morning, so the likelihood of this being Van is high. Then there's the unmistakeable sound of an engine idling, a low quiet voice and the slam of a car door, heavy footsteps crunching on the gravel driveway. As soon as the tall, dark figure comes into view your heart lurches and you spring to your feet, making for the door. You arrive just as the sound of a key turning in the lock emanates through the wood and you reach out an eager hand, grasping the handle and pulling the door fully open with force.

"Van!"

He stands framed in the doorway, the soft lighting from the hallway illuminating him, a slightly crooked smile on his face and eyes hooded with tiredness.

"Hey Y/N, what're you doing up? It must be 3am!"

"Half past 4 actually," you correct him, stepping back to let him in and shutting the door behind him. "I couldn't sleep knowing you were coming back though. God I've missed you!"

His smile widens as he steps forward, quickly dropping his duffel bag and reaching out both hands to curl around your hips. "I've missed you too, so fucking much. You wouldn't believe how much. It's so good to be home."

You reach out for him. Although he's much taller than you it's like he falls into your embrace, melting into your arms, a sigh escaping him as he nestles his face into the crook of your neck. You burrow into the warmth of his chest, the soft material of his hoodie comforting on your skin. He clings to you and you reach up a hand to the nape of his neck, comforting touches smoothing down his hair and trailing down his spine.

"Mmm... I'm so tired babe," he mumbles into your neck. "Don't think I've ever been this tired before in my life."

You pull away and feel him release his grip on you reluctantly as you look up at him. "Come on, let's get you to bed."

"Actually, I'd really love a cuppa..."

You let out a small laugh, reaching for his hand and pulling him towards the kitchen. "What are you like? The world would be ending and you'd still stop for a cup of tea!"

You reach for the kettle as soon as you enter the kitchen, flicking it on. You're just adding a teabag to Van's favourite mug when you feel the warmth of his body behind you, pressing you into the countertop. He draws your hair to one side, bending his head down and nuzzling into your neck, pressing a small kiss to your skin. You can tell he hasn't shaved this morning, scratchy stubble tickling your neck, sending warm tingles through you.