All Of Your Children (Part 1)

AN: I've been wanting to write Dad Van for ages as the concept just makes me soft! 🥺
Sorry if this is rubbish, not sure if I'm happy with it but I've had it sitting in my drafts for ages and completely forgot about it - I was intending to write a series from trying for a baby onwards so hopefully I'll write more parts to this...

PART 1 - TRYING

"Van! Where are you? You were supposed to be home half an hour ago!"

You're pacing up and down the kitchen, holding the phone tight to your ear, feeling anxious.

In comparison to your wound-up state your boyfriend's demeanour is relaxed as he replies. "Chill out love, I'm on the way. We just took a little longer in the studio than was expected, that's all."

"Don't tell me to chill out! It's time you know!" You reply haughtily, aware that you sound like some crazy woman but not being able to relax as instructed.

Van just chuckles down the line. "I'm like five minutes away. Bloody hell, if I knew baby-making was gonna make you this horny I would have suggested it ages ago!"

"I'm not horny!" You protest. "I just need you here now. I can't make this baby on my own."

"So now you're saying you only want me for my body!" He laughs.

You're mildly annoyed now. By your calculations you're at your peak fertility right now. And your ovulation window ends tonight.

"Va-an!" You grumble.

"I'm literally pulling on to our road now!" He says, and you stop pacing immediately and make your way upstairs to the bedroom, impatient.

* * * * *

It seems crazy really. You've been with Van for two years now, and they've been the most exciting, fulfilling two years of your life. You'd met at the radio station where you worked and you often still replay the day you met in your mind, cringing with total embarrassment at the idiot you made of yourself. Catfish and the Bottlemen were one of your favourite bands at the time, and you'd been so excited when you heard they were coming in for an interview. You'd been outside in the smoking area on your fag break with your co-worker and best friend Alyssa, completely losing your head at the fact that you'd soon have the chance to meet one of your idols.

"Fucking hell Lyss, if I meet Van I think I'm gonna go to pieces. He's just so fit. I mean he looks good enough in pictures online so what's he gonna look like in real life? I'm gonna be completely star-struck! If he speaks to me what am I gonna say? I'm probably gonna make a right tit out of myself! Lyss... Lyss?"

You'd wondered why your best friend was suddenly lost for words, her face scrunched up, looking awkward as ever. She obviously wasn't taking in a word of what you were saying, in fact she wasn't even looking at you.

"Lyss... are you even listening to..."

You'd tailed off at that point, aware that the reason that she wasn't listening was that something, or someone, far more interesting behind you had obviously caught her attention. That someone had happened to be none other than Van McCann himself.

Of course in typical Van style he'd been a complete gentleman about it, well... after you'd had to endure some merciless teasing from him over the cup of tea he'd insisted on taking you out for after the interview. You'd been nervous as hell to start with, but it'd soon become very obvious that you two had a lot in common and your personalities just clicked. He was charming, hilarious, down to earth and chatty. Very chatty. In fact you don't think he's actually shut up since that day...