Mistakes || Five Hargreeves x GN!Reader

Five accidentally knocks on his sister's neighbours' door and it might just be the best mistake of his life.

i feel like i'm getting better at writing yk. leave a comment?

It was 7 pm on a Friday night, and Five was not having the time of his life.

Allison had invited him over for dinner that night, because apparently, he was locking himself up in the house for way too long. Safe to say, this was not how he wanted to spend his evening. But his adoptive sister was persistent.

So at 6:45, he finally resigned himself to his fate and got up, straightening his suit and combing out his hair, not caring to put much effort into his appearance. Who cared? It was just his siblings.

He had never been to Allison's place, so all the weirdly numbered doors confused him. You'd think an assassin that can travel through space and time would have a few apartment numbers down, but Five was already annoyed and very confused, so he knocked on the nearest door quite assertively.

Once the resident opened, it was clear that they weren't his sister.

"Uh, excuse me?" the person asked timidly; "Who are you?"

Five stood stock still for a while, trying to figure out who he was and why he was here. When he did, he stammered out, "I'm looking for Allison Hargreeves."

"Oh," your face seemed to relax, "next one over."

Just then, the owner of a black head of hair poked her head out of the adjacent apartment. "Five! Y/N, I see you've met my brother."

"Yeah, nice to meet you," you smiled politely before shutting the door again.

"That was Y/N." Allison supplied needlessly. "Come in."

Five lingered for a minute outside the door before stepping into his sibling's cozy living room.

"That your neighbour?" He asked nonchalantly, picking up a pen on the desk and examining it.

"Yep. Barely know them. They're pretty shy. Doesn't talk much. Sweet as sugar, though, according to everyone else." Allison rambled over her shoulder, reaching on her tiptoes to get the cups and plates.

Five nodded pensively, setting down the pen.

"Take a seat, Klaus and Vanya will be here soon." His sister called. "And no coffee. You'll spoil your dinner."

Five rolled his eyes and sat.

***

The next time he saw you was sometime that weekend. Apparently, Allison had persuaded Luther and Diego to join the four for dinner as well, and of course it would just be amazing to have the whole family over, wouldn't it?

And so for the second time in 3 days, he made to get ready to see his siblings again. And someone else, but he didn't know that.

This time, Five made sure to knock on the right door, and Allison opened it. Looking around, he didn't see anyone else. "Am I early?" He asked, annoyed. Allison smiled. "Well, the rest of the guys just couldn't come, and it was such a shame to see all that good food go to waste, so I invited Y/N over." Five managed to hide his nervous gulp by rolling his eyes.

"Great. So we'll be having dinner with a total stranger?" He asked, although he wasn't exactly sad about the prospect. On the contrary, he liked it a lot better than spending time with his siblings.

"Y/N is actually really nice. Come on, you could use a friend. Just, you know, be nice to them." Allison assured, patting his shoulder and moving to open the door from which a knock had just sounded.

"Allison, hey," you greeted, stepping into the place. "You have a lovely home."

Five tuned out the rest of the conversation, choosing to stand by the window and trying to breathe deep breaths. It wasn't like you made him nervous, right? It wasn't you that made his heart beat faster. Like, this was completely normal.

He tried to sit down and make normal small talk at the table, something he quickly found out he wasn't good at. You must probably think he was dense, mustn't you?

Thankfully, Allison saved him from embarrassment by swooping in to fill the awkward silences. Five watched as you raved about her cooking. It was probably good; his sister was the next best cook after Grace. But Five's eyes never left you.

***

After dinner, he absolutely refused to be alone with you and hurriedly left to help Allison with the dishes. You had offered to do them, of course, but his sister put her foot down and sent you to the living room.

"Y'know, I can wash up by myself, you should go sit down," Allison suggested innocently. "You're not as subtle as you think." Five huffed, setting down the sponge.

"Oh, just go." she said, rolling her eyes. "You've been making heart eyes at them all evening."

Five looked over for a brief second at you and jumped over.

"Hey," he said, commanding his mouth to stop turning into sandpaper every time he saw you. It didn't work.

"Hi," you mumbled shyly back.

Five cleared his throat. "Would you like to get some coffee tomorrow?"

He scrutinized your face for a reaction, and watched in horror as your expression changed from one of reluctance, to pity, and then to a deep look of embarrassment.

"If you don't want to, that's okay." He quickly said, "I shouldn't have asked."

You laughed. "No. It's just- your sister bet me 10 bucks you'd ask me out today. I swore I'd win." You looked at Five, smiling shyly. "Looks like I lost the bet, but won something better. "