a bottle of wine for two, though i'm already drunk off you.

Greetings my favourite literateur I was wondering if you would like to do a five x reader on the song " couple of kids " by Maggie Lindeman
Obviously it'll be angsty but please give it a good ending 🦋🦋
If you're too busy with other requests it's fine but if you decide to do this THANKS
Xoxo

a/n: did a high school sweetheart au, cuz hey why not

The thing about love was that you never really could tell when it was going to go south.

Like now.

Five never really thought he'd ever be genuinely, blissfully happy. But then you came along: the light to his dark, the beautiful girl who brightened up his life in ways he couldn't have ever imagined.

"Five, what if Reginald notices you're gone?" You asked, giggling, pushed up against your bedroom wall by Five.

He scoffed. "He never does, trust me." before kissing you deeply. "I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Y/N, god." He muttered before pressing his forehead to yours. His palm was on your cheek, and you brought your own up to cover it. "So do I, Five."

He never realized how hard that was to live up to. Until about a week ago, when you said you were moving out for college.

Five and you had met when you were a sophomore in high school and he was–well, 15 years old in The Umbrella Academy. The rendezvous were secret and random: sometimes he'd show up in the middle of the night or early in the morning. And you don't know how, but it soon blossomed into something more, something long lasting.

For four blissful years, you and him met up in secret. When you were 16 or so, his siblings found out and agreed to keep it a secret from Reginald.

Until now.

Your senior year of high school: just a few days before summer vacation, you had told him.

It was a sunny Monday afternoon: the light filtered through your curtained windows and you were curled up to your boyfriend's side, his arm around you, staring up at the ceiling.

"I'm moving away at the end of the month, y'know." And it hit Five like a truck. Good lord, he never expected that. But he should've known. You would be off to college, then your job, and he'd always be here, in The Academy, saving the world, all his life, without you–

Suddenly it became too hard to breathe.

"Yeah."

Yeah. He knew.

He'd manage without you.

***

And then came the fights.

"I thought you cared, I thought you'd be the slightest bit happy for me–"

"I am, Y/N! But aren't I allowed to be sad that you'll be leaving? Do I not get that at least?"

Then it went somewhere Five never, ever wanted to tread into.

"God, do you even love me, Five?"

He knew he should have reacted better. He knew that he should have calmed you down, told you that he really did love you. But he didn't do any of that. He did what he always did best.

"Maybe I don't."

You were heart broken after that. And you knew that it was all your fault, that you shouldn't have said something so insensitive when Five was so clearly devastated at you leaving.

You didn't really see the problem. He would be able to visit you in your dorm, and see you almost everyday, even more than if you lived two blocks away. You didn't understand what he was so worked up over.