chapter 37: new beginnings

Two months had passed and it was time for the seventh year graduation. The Marauders, Esmeralda, Lily, Clara and Marlene were sitting together in the Great Hall. It had been modified to have lots of rows of individual seats for all of the students and their family members. The four house colours hung from the ceiling and the banners swayed softly as if a light breeze moved them. Esmeralda looked up at the banners and smiled. She loved the simple, yet enchanting, magic that immersed the students even more into the Wizarding World. 

Perla was sitting three rows behind her niece and her friends along with the Potters.

"They look lovely, don't they ?" Euphemia asked Perla.

"They do," she replied, "It seems like I was here yesterday graduating and now she is."

"A couple of years late, but she is," Fleamont said.

Euphemia elbowed him. Perla smiled at Fleamont.

"That she is, Fleamont," she said.

Dumbledore stood up from his seat and walked to the podium. He cleared his throat and began to speak.

"Welcome everyone," Dumbledore, "This generation of young witches and wizards is sitting in this room for probably the last time in their lives. It is my honour to present to you all; the 1978 graduating Hogwarts Class."

The graduating class stood up and everyone else clapped for them.

"Can't believe it took me this long to graduate," Esmeralda joked silently to Sirius.

"Figues," he whispered back, "You are awful in all your classes."

She elbowed him quickly on the ribs.

"Shush, Black," she said smiling, "I'm graduating second in our class, and you ?"

"Can't imagine there's a number that low to classify Padfoot," James said once he heard the conversation the couple was having.

Once Sirius recovered his breath he stood up and looked at James.

"I'll have you know that although I'm not in the near of being on the top ten of our class," he began, "Minnie told me that I'm one of the best students she's ever had."

"Probably because she's blinded by all the times you try and flirt with her, Padfoot." Peter said from Sirius' other side.

Sirius looked back at him and smirked. He slowly turned his head to Esmeralda and looked her up and down.

"What can I say ?" he said, "I like older women."

"Shut up," Esmeralda said laughing. 

After the graduation ceremony and the graduating class leaving the castle on the boats through the Black Lake, everyone was in Hogsmeade waiting to celebrate. After arriving at the Three Broomsticks, the Potters bought Butterbeers for everyone in Gryffindor House and their families. It had been pretty easy to spot them because no other House had been fast enough to snag tables after the graduation. So basically the Three Broomsticks was filed with a bunch of loud Gryffindors celebrating and drinking.

"So, Sirius," Perla asked the dark haired boy, "What have you thought about doing once you're out there in the real world ? Any plans ?"

Sirius looked to his right and met Esmeralda's eyes. She raised an eyebrow because somehow she knew something was up with him. He had a glint in his eye he hadn't had in a while.