Act 5-6 the way you look tonight

The longer the night wears on, the more the text in the book starts to blur together, forming nonsensical gibberish that only makes me want to throw it off of my desk and fall asleep right here. The alarm clock on my nightstand only reads '10:30,' which I'm sure is normal sleeping time for most students here.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for myself. What was previously an admirable habit for passing finals has turned into a curse, with my sleep schedule having long since adjusted to staying up until two in the morning with a textbook in front of me. At the very least it gives me some time to catch up on all the reading I haven't been doing, provided my compulsive desire to study has been sated.

...I also need a quiet environment to read in, which the vibrating slab on my desk doesn't seem very keen on offering right now. Considering that it's a Friday and it's about that time of night, however, I don't even have to check the caller ID to know what's going on.

"Good evening." I answer upon flipping the device open.

Not even a second passes before I'm met with a stark "Hey, what's up?"

"Just starting to get ready for bed." I reply, finally prying my eyes away from the many papers strewn across my desktop and leaning back in a stretch.

"Well, I hope you haven't changed into your pajamas yet. I need someone to let me in the front gate." She states, her words ever-so-slightly slurred together in fatigue.

As soon as she says that, all of the fatigue is whisked away from my mind and I'm left glancing out the window, unsure of what to think. "Let you in the front gate? Did something happen with Lilly?"

Through the phone, the low hum of her engine can be heard alongside the clicking of a turn signal, making me wonder just how close she is to the school. Usually she calls once she's gotten home and settled in, but there's no telling how long she's been driving if she came straight here once she got off the clock.

"Nah. There's nothing wrong, I'm just trying to get away from my dad for a while. He was heckling me at work and I had a gut feeling that he was going to try and meet me at home as well." She explains, followed by a lazy yawn. "Which parking lot should I use if the one on the side is closed? I've never had to visit this late before."

I glance out my window, trying to get my bearings on where the faculty parking might be while also wondering what could have happened with her father. "There's the one behind the gym. It's supposed to be reserved for the teachers though, so I'm not too sure if you'll be able to get in."

"Well I guess I'll just have to keep looking around, then. It would be really suspicious if my car got towed at three in the morning, even moreso if they found me hanging out with one of the students past curfew." She responds, letting out a low sigh. "There's a sign for visitor parking, at least."

"You aren't worried about being the only visitor?" I reply while I put on my shoes.

My phone goes quiet for a few moments while she looks for a parking spot. "Well, there are a few other cars out here, so it shouldn't be too suspicious. Maybe there are some other students getting visits as well." Her voice takes on a heavy tone for a moment, as if suggesting something that slips by me.

I decide to head for the front entrance to meet her, holding the device against my ear while I peek around each corner of the dorm. I've still got half an hour until it'll be considered breaking curfew, but for now I think I'm safe -- on the other hand, there's no doubt in my mind that having a guest over is prohibited no matter what time of night it is.

"I'm meeting you at the front, right?" I ask, already trying to figure out if there are any other alternative entrances in the first place.

I get an affirmative 'mhm' as soon as I'm out the front door of the dorm, the evening breeze sending refreshing chills through my body. There's no one in sight save for a night janitor picking up trash off the sidewalk, so at least there's a safe bet that I won't get caught sneaking a woman onto campus.