Act 2-6 Public Relations

The sound of chalk tapping drones on as Mutou layers diagram upon diagram on the blackboard, embellishing each drawing with a series of formulas and calculations that boggle the mind. We've learned about most of these, but a good few of the other equations are unknown, even to people who've read ahead in the book.

"This is going to be on your final, so make sure you're taking good notes." he calls out to a room of sleeping or otherwise disengaged students.

The man in the brown duster dances back and forth from either end of the chalkboard, pointing to each crude drawing as he reads out of a textbook. At this point he's pacing so fast that he doesn't even bother to wake up any of the less focused pupils.

In fact, we've been speeding through lesson after lesson all week. I'm not sure if we're behind or if Mutou is just more motivated after the symposium on Saturday, but we've definitely been on the afterburner for the past few days.

At least I'm finally starting to settle into my schedule. The days are beginning to blend together, with no indication of whether or not it's Monday or Friday without first checking a calendar. My social abilities could still use some work, however. I haven't gotten out much aside from the occasional greeting in the hallway and the exposure to Kenji's ranting.

There is a difference though. I feel confident for some reason. I don't know if it's because of the science festival, or because of the conversation I had with Akira in the park, but I feel much more energized as of late.

And that liveliness is only bolstered by the sound of the lunch bell ringing, cutting Mutou off mid-sentence.

He quickly recovers to deliver a few closing statements, however. Including a reminder that 'exams are in just a few weeks and that we should be responsible students and remember to study.'

The sound of chair legs scraping against tile fills the room as students venture out in search of lunch. Belongings are shoveled into bags and bags are thrown across shoulders, each leaving the room in sequence.

All except one girl in the back row, who remains stationary. Dark hair combed over one eye, with what looks like scarred flesh covering her right hand. Rather than leave with the rest of the lunch crowd, she elects to camp out in her chair with a novel in hand.

I think I met her in the library once. Hanako Ikezawa, was it? She comes off as rather easy-to-scare, so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to try talking to her; even if I like the book she's reading.

So, lunchtime. Will I be going to the overcrowded cafeteria, or would the vending machines be a better option today?

Either way, there's a girl standing in the doorway. However, her appearance happens to be more familiar, in more ways than one. Golden-blonde hair, above-average height, and a pair of wide, deep eyes. I can't believe there was any doubt in my mind that they were related.

"Good afternoon, Lilly."

The dark-haired girl jumps in her seat as I call out, eyes jerking from me to the girl standing in the front doorway.

"Ah, is that you, Hisao?"

"Yeah, how are you doing?"

"I'm quite alright, thank you for asking. Is Hanako here?"

Before I can answer, the dark-haired girl sets her book down and stands up, slinging her book bag over one shoulder.

"R-Right here..." she replies.

"Are you ready to go?" Lilly asks.

"Y-yeah."

She steps up and places her fingers on Lilly's shoulder, novel in other hand. At this, Lilly and Hanako walk toward the door side-by-side.