Act 2-8 Intoxication

"You have a map there, why don't you just pick something out at random?"

The two of us roam the city streets in search of something to occupy our time. The sun has now set under the horizon, giving way to a night sky gleaming with activity; be it planes or satellites. Crowds of people pass in and out of every open door on the street, laughing and talking amongst themselves.

I find myself spending my evening with another human being for the first time in a few weeks. However, this is much more preferable to the last instance, considering the presence of someone who isn't a conspiracy theorist and the lack of alcoholic substances.

Beside me is the older of the two Satou sisters; her usual professional attire exchanged for something more casual; a simple red tank top and jeans. Her hair sits as unkempt as usual, swaying in the evening breeze as we wander the streets without a goal or objective in mind.

"I remember seeing an arcade and I figured I'd give that a try for old time's sake, but you probably want to go do something a little more-"

"Ooh, I know the place you're talking about! C'mon!"

Akira grabs my shoulders and nudges me around a corner before hopping up beside me.

"It's only a few blocks this way. Hanako and I go there sometimes, it really is a great place." she chimes, voice laden with jubilation as she begins to list off all of the games inside.

"What does a girl like you do in an arcade?" I ask, chuckling.

"Just because I pay taxes doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have fun." she counters. "I'm not that great at anything, mind you, but it's nice to go and relieve some stress every once in a while."

"Can't argue with that. I'm not some kind of master either, though."

No thinking, no contemplating, no worrying, and no speculating. The world isn't going to end by me going out and having fun for once; moreso if it's with this beautiful girl.

Of course, it's not a date. She still has a boyfriend, he just... isn't here.

It's just Akira and I.

The thought of such a thing causes my heartbeat to quicken, blood racing through my mind as all the possibilities fill my imagination.

What if the arcade is having some sort of couples' night? Or what if we go to a restaurant and the waiter comments on how good we look together? Or what if one of my other classmates sees me walking around with this twenty-four year old woman?

"Here we are. Any favorites, or is it my pick?" Akira asks with a grin.

No more 'what ifs' tonight. Fun time.

The door has been propped open, welcoming us to a large, open-space filled with dozens of arcade games and the many people partaking in their wonders. The room is fitter with a darker theme, with black carpets and bluish walls that show signs of aging; it doesn't help that the only lighting comes from numerous flashing screens.

"Whatever works. I haven't been in one of these for long enough to remember anything special."

Well, that's a bit of a lie - there was one game that stands out in my memory. All the hours spent after classes in middle school; betting on matches, holding mini tournaments, hi-score competitions, and all other kinds of shenanigans.

We stride past a couple rows of DDR platforms and skee-ball machines, winding up near the back wall of the arcade with all of the older games lined up in chronological order. Even though it's been years since I've stepped foot in a place like this, I can still recognize all of the games. Platformers, rail shooters, and most of all...