Act 4-2 On the Rocks

"Hey, your stuff is dry. Good thing I checked your pockets, otherwise you'd be without your phone and wallet too." A voice calls from outside the bathroom after a few stark knocks.

Oh.

I almost fell asleep for a second there. It feels like I've been in here for an hour.

The air feels cold and foreign against my skin as I pull myself out of the tub, making my hair stand up on end as chills run up and down my back. Before anything else can be said and done, I grab a towel off of the sink, one which seems to have been waiting for me.

That's six of her towels I've dirtied in one night. I'm gonna have to think of something to make myself less of a nuisance before the night is over and done w-

A few more taps echo throughout the bathroom. "Hey, Hisao, you asleep in there?"

Oh, right, I probably should have said something.

"I'm fine, heh, almost fell asleep in here." I call back.

I wrap the towel around my waist and step over to the door, positioning myself in such a manner that if the door were to open, she'd only be able to see me from the neck up.

"Have a good bath?" Akira asks with a cheeky smile.

"Maybe." I reply.

I reach out for the pile of laundry, reveling in the fact that everything is folded in a neat manner, folded with careful attention to detail. On top of that, my phone, belt, and wallet remain unharmed at the tip of the stack.

"Oh, wow, you didn't have to go that far for me." I remark with a chuckle.

"Force of habit." She states, glancing away as if she had done something by accident. "Anyway; take your time. No need to rush."

I give a nod before shutting the door once more.

My mind seems to go blank, for some odd reason. I'm not sure what to think about all of this. There's a strange warmth in my chest, and I don't think it has anything to do with the hot bath I just got out of, or the splendid feeling of freshly-dried clothes against my skin.

Is it satisfaction? That doesn't seem like the proper word for the moment.

Akira opened her door for me in the middle of the night, didn't waver for even a second when I showed up at her doorstep leaving a wet mess in my wake, and then did something as wonderful as drying my clothes for me while I used her bath. Would appreciation be a better way to put it?

It's a nice feeling, at the very least, and it's something I haven't felt in a long, long time. I'd give everything up for it without a second thought.

I finish sliding into my clothes and step out of the bathroom, closing the door behind me. I pass by the kitchen and into the living room, noting that the slew of rainwater left by my trail has been cleaned up, the pile of towels removed, and my socks and shoes placed in the corner in front of a space heater.

The curtains over the massive window overlooking the city have been drawn, the quiet ambiance of rain against glass setting a relaxing mood. Dim light flows over every corner of the living room, projected by a small table lamp, its design thin and sleek like something you'd find in the 'modern' section of a furniture store.

Akira is also in the room, her form laid out on the black leather sofa. The TV is turned on, its screen showcasing the same weather report I was watching a few hours ago. Between her and the television is a glass-top coffee table with nothing more than a remote and what looks like a digital camera lying on top.

"How long was I in there for?" I ask aloud.

"Eh, maybe half an hour? Not too terribly long." Akira answers, shuffling around in her seat to turn and face me. "Bad news is, you might be here for a while longer since that rain doesn't look like it'll be letting up anytime soon."