Bloodlust Prologue

Prologue

Mmhmm, the warm taste of my parents' blood erupted on the tip of my tongue. Delicious, I needed more. I got up from my crouching position by my father, who lay unconscious at my feet. My feet carried me over to my mother, who was in the same state as my father, and began to feed. My mouth pressed against her warm throat, and sucked deeply. Yes, more wonderful flesh. I could feel my stomach beginning to fill inside, but still I refused to stop. "Lexi, stop," my little brother Ben screamed. "You're hurting her!"

          I looked up at his frightened, childish face and began to move towards him. "Lexi, you're scaring me," Ben cried. He put his small hands up in front of his face, in an attempt to protect himself. But I knew I wouldn't hurt him. Suddenly, I could feel my eyes morphing from the deep, blood-red shade, back to my normal, hazel ones. My spiked, black hair grows down to my broad shoulders, and turns a lovely shade of white-blonde. My horrible black cape that covered my body completely was instantly replaced by my regular school outfit; green tank, skinny black jeans, knee high brown boots, and a leather jacket. Wooden bangles swirled around my wrists, just as my gold locket with my initial on it appeared around my neck.

          "Ben," I whispered. "What just happened?"

          "I don't know," he said. "But I think we need to call a doctor." He gestures towards my fallen parents on the floor.

          My pink lips part all the way, as my mouth falls down. I can't get around the sight before me.

          My mother and father lay in two separate heaps, both bleeding internally, with severe scratches and tears on the skin. Their lids were shut, and their chests heaving, but only just. They looked dead, and I didn't know what could have killed them. Or who could have. Ben tugs at my leather sleeve and motions towards the phone.

          I grab the phone off the receiver and quickly dial 911.

          "911 state your emergency," a cheery, but serious voice of a woman answers.

 I say in a rush, "Please send Emergency Services that 256 Milbury Avenue. And hurry, someone could be dying!" 

          "Okay, dear, she says. " I need you to remain calm. Now, what are the symptoms?"

          I described how both my parents were unconscious, bleeding badly, and looked like they had just been trampled. Within minutes, two ambulances and a police car arrive outside the house. Several doctors burst through the door, and sink to the ground to inspect my parents. One officer begins to search the house, while his partner, Officer Smith, stays behind to speak with my brother and me.

          "So," he begins. "Where were you when all of this happened?"

          To be perfectly honest, I wasn't even completely sure. I barely remembered the day at all. I remember being woken up extra early by my mom for last day before spring vacation. I'd wanted to sleep in, but as usual, that wouldn't be happening. I'd showered, dressed, threw some makeup on, and was out the door, flying in my sleek car to school.

          School passed in a blur like always and soon I was already back in my car, heading home. Right after I arrived back home, my parents and I had a fight about my grades in my report card.

          "Only one A+ in the entire semester?" my mother had exclaimed.

          "Well," I'd said. "That A  was in English, which is obviously my favorite subject. Besides, I don't need to know Pre-Calculus or Science to be able to write vampire novels," I'd added, hoping to end the fight.

          But still, our quarrel went on, and on, until I'd finally had enough. Tables were turned; chairs were burned, while our priceless china shattered into pieces. I was so angry; I'd barely known what I was doing.

          Then I awoke from my long daze and saw my half-dead mother and father lying at my feet, while my younger brother stood at the bottom of the staircase. He'd looked so scared......of me!

          My family had fought often back then, and anyone who knew us well enough would know that it was just our daily routine.

          "Miss", the officer prompted.

          "Oh, sorry," I said, trying to clear my head. "I was at school, and I'd just gotten home. They were in the same state that they are now."

          He turned to me and asked, "Miss, would you like to come to the hospital for awhile?"

          "No, my brother would not be able to handle it. Nor would I."

          "I see," he said, jotting down some notes in his handbook. "Well, I shall contact you with any further information shortly." 

          "Fine", I muttered.

          The doctors hoisted the gurneys with my mother and father abroad into the ambulances. Within seconds, they were all gone- my parents, the doctors, even the officers-had cleared out. Only Ben and I remained inside the house that contained all of our memories; both horrible and pleasant. Somewhere inside me, I knew my parents were dead, and that it was my fault they were. But I just didn't see how that could be.