Internet friends

All rights belong to atushi okobo. The storyline is mine but not the characters

Maka's fingers traced the crisp edge of the page. Her attention wasn't truly on the book, something else pestering her. Impatience. Just as she flipped the page, the soft 'ping' she had been awaiting sounded and Maka grabbed her phone, opening the messenger. A bright yellow icon of a soul showed the other user. She grinned, trying to suppress the excitement of his message.
Eater162: yo
She quickly replied.
BookQueen: hey
Eater162: what r u doing?
BookQueen: reading (as usual)
BookQueen: you?
Eater162: got some sick new tunes. Blasting them.
BookQueen: you'll ruin your ears.
Eater162: you'll ruin your eyes
BookQueen: touché
And so it went as it did every night, sharing stories about things that had happened that day. Maka almost felt sad her only friend was someone she didn't even know the face of but maybe it was better than way. Someone half way across the world wouldn't decide to join her one of her enemies instead of her. 'One of' was too broad. She mainly meant Soul. He was too obsessed with being cool to have empathy. Part of her, a part she loathed, admired his confidence and laid-back attitude. But he still tormented her. Maka glanced out the window, seeing the sun had surrendered to sleep and was dipping beneath the horizon. She sighed and replaced her phone and book upon the side table before snuggling under the covers.
*
"Oi!" He called, "tiny-tits."
"Shinigami, kill me." Maka muttered to the gym ceiling before turning go see him. Sure enough her scythe classmate came sauntering up with his meister, Black ★ star. Maka had never seen them battle but heard it was quite a sight, seeing as the two couldn't match wavelength. Not that she and her weapon, Tsubaki, were any better. Soul smirked with his sharp teeth and his ruby eyes glinted behind tuffs of snowy hair.
"Soul." She greeted coldly, hoping she looked more courageous than she felt. His smile fell slightly but soon returned, "who pissed in your soup?"
"That's....disgusting." She commented, frowning. Soul shrugged, "I see you haven't changed, still flat, no ass, boring. No wonder you're single."
"What's you're excuse? Or have girls actually noticed your personality?" Maka smiled slightly at what she found to be a witty come back.
"I'd rather not jump on any of the girls that want me but instead find one I like." He shrugged.
"Tits not big enough for you?" Maka guessed. Soul formed a scowl, lips opening for a retort when Maka felt a hand on her elbow.
"Tsubaki-chan?" She asked, turning to see her tall friend. Tsubaki had her usual motherly-concerned aura about her.
"Maka-chan, please don't fight with soul. " she pleased, earning an eye roll.
"He started it!" The meister stated.
"And that's his own problem." Tsubaki sighed. Maka begrudgingly left the issue alone. When class ended, Maka adorned her phone once more and felt a tug of excitement to see a new message.
Eater162: hey
BookQueen: hey. How are you?
Eater162: fine. U?
BookQueen: kinda upset :/
Eater162: uh-oh. Wazzup?
BookQueen: in one of my classes there's a kid who's a total douche and he torments me everyday
Eater162: sucks
Eater162: in my class this chick bitches me out when I flirt with her
Eater162: I don't think she even gets I like her

Maka felt a twinge of jealousy. She really didn't like it but she had begun to feel a crush on this faceless friend.
BookQueen: damn
Eater162: yeah :/
BookQueen: maybe she'll come around...?
Eater162: *crosses fingers* *breaks fingers* I doubt it. She's stubborn.
BookQueen: good luck.
Eater162: u 2 with that douche lol I'd beat him if I was there. G2G
Eater162 is signed out

Maka sighed and closed the app, going to the changing room. It was almost as though Soul specifically aimed his flat chested remarks for gym as a way to be extra cruel. The girls in the locker room where all big busted and NOT shy about showing it. Maka ran to the showers and back, struggling Into her clothes as quickly as possible to avoid being nude amongst her more sexually appealing class mates. She finished she adjusting her pigtails and went to the door. It had begun to rain, grey clouds filling the sky and sheets of silver drops obscuring her view. She started into the rain but stopped at the sound of an engine growling. Soul whistled from his motor bike, "oi! Need a ride?"
"I don-" as though to prove the point of 'you do', thunder cut her off. She sighed and nodded. He motioned her over and she unsteadily mounted the vehicle. After feeling Maka's arms tangle around him, Soul sped off. The rain seemed to be purposely beating itself against their faces and the wind whipping them for good measure. By the time they stopped, Maka was soaked, half blind and shaky but she thanked Soul any way and dashed inside. She ran up the creaking stairs to her apartment and fell into her couch, pulling out her phone. She opened the chat window and a pop up blocked the page, a blue arrow pointing to a picture of a camera that read, "video chat now available".
Maka paused then messaged him.
BookQueen: did you see we can now video message?
Eater162 is typing....
Eater162 is typing....
Eater162: yeah, wanna?

Maka swallowed her excitement.

BookQueen: yeah!
Eater162: warning, I'm unbelievably sexy. Try not to get wet
BookQueen: I'm already wet
Eater162: o.o
BookQueen: I meant its raining here!
Eater162: XD oh LOL. raining here 2
BookQueen: nice. Uhm, call?

Eater162 is video calling you
(Answer) (decline)

Maka's fingers almost slipped on the screen and she answered. Finally she would see him.
He had ruby eyes.
Spiky, snowy hair flattened by rain.
Sharp teeth.
" Soul?" She croaked.