139 | S2: The Flower in the Moonlight

Start from the beginning

The master of ceremonies took a pause and moved closer off to the side.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the Queen and King of Crescent Kingdom."

When we entered the ballroom, everyone heads bowed and then they started clapping to welcome the two of them.

With each careful step down the stairs, I made sure to keep perfect posture along side Karasuma.

"It's an astonishing sight." Nagisa commented about the crowd of the guests.

"Just think about all the names that will be thrown at you to remember." Karma joked. "What kind of leader will you be if you can't keep up a conversation?"

"Alright, you're not going to be able to memorize them all yourself. Besides, it's impossible to know them all." Nagisa nudged his arm.

And that's when I stuck to Nagisa like glue. First the two of them traveled together to talk to guests and then there was moments when they were separated.

"What so you think of the turnout?" Nagisa asked me.

"It's quite overwhelming of course." I responded.

"It would of been a treat to see you dressed up as well and dance amongst the ladies here tonight." Nagisa brought up.

"But fate has me standing on this side of life now." I added. "Maybe if I had stayed the weak child I was, I would of been lost in the crowd waiting for an endless night."

Nagisa smiled and patted my shoulder.

"My Queen, good evening. I hope you are doing well."

We turned our heads to see Katsuo and a young woman beside him. She must be the sister he had spoken about prior.

"Lovely night isn't it?" Nagisa replied and faced his way. "And who may the two do you be?"

"Excuse my rudeness." Katsuo bowed his head. "My name is Katsuo Sato. This is my younger sister Yui Sato. It's a great pleasure to meet you."

When he raised his head, he glanced at me for a second but diverted as if the seconds of connection was nothing.

"Sato...you're name sounds awfully familiar. If I can remember, you're a member of the military?" Nagisa wondered.

"You are correct, my Queen." He nodded his head, "I worked along side Lord Maehara for majority of my training and recently came back from oversees."

"Ah, yes. I knew I recognized your name. It was on the list of trainees that returned last week." Nagisa connected the dots. "

His younger sister Yui was awfully shy. Hiding behind his brother's arm as she kept her eyes on me.

"Dame Kayano, it's a pleasure to see you again. I hope you've been well." He finally greeted me.

"Yes, I have been. Thank you." I acknowledged him and I looked over to his sister. "Your older brother has spoken about you the last time."

"Good evening Dame Kayano." She stepped forward, "You're such an inspiration." She said without hesitation. "Is it okay if I shake your hand?"

Taken aback, I looked at Nagisa and he chuckled.

"Of course." I reached my hand out and touched her soft, small hands.

"You're so embarrassing." Katsuo commented and Yui glared back at him.

Katsuo continued to speak with Nagisa and during that time Yui and I continued to have our conversation.

And every now and then I would glance back at Katsuo who was eloquent in his own way. Something that I did not notice the first time we met.

"Enjoy the rest of your evening." Nagisa said and those two bowed their heads and said goodbye to me as well.

"He seems like a good man." Nagisa said aloud.

"It seems that way." I replied trying to bring myself from that moment of vulnerability to focus at my task at hand. Nagisa tilted his head to watch my expression and I made eye contact, confused by what he was doing.

"What is it my Queen?"

"Oh, it's nothing." He smiled and went on.

After walking around some more and greeting others. I thought I saw a glimpse of my older sister and Duke Kuro chatting. Maybe it was just my imagination as it would crowded enough.

"Kaede, look over here." Nagisa motioned to the center of the bathroom and it was indeed Duke Kuro and my sister dancing. From this spot, you could clearly see them dancing the night way, as if they were then only ones in the room.

My sister was giggling as she was lead by Duke Kuro who also had a radiant smile on his face. Others around them who were dancing stopped to watch what seemed like simple young love but in fact it was terribly more than that.

The young love that was first suffocated by the fates set by birth, they found each other once again. In my heart, it felt as if this was their happy ever after.