30. Longing Moments

Start from the beginning

    Lysander took the lead, with Celeste and Sienna close behind him. Estelle paused, noticing that Mikael hadn't followed. He was staring across the Sidra towards Rhys and Feyre's estate, and a bridge beyond that. He shook his head briefly, facing her with a smile.

    "You should show me your paintings, Batsy," he said, drifting past her.

    Estelle followed him into the house and closed the door behind them. "Estelle!" Celeste hollered, leaning her head over the staircase railing. "May we see your room?"

    "Just a minute," Estelle replied.

    She and Mikael hurried up the stairs, reaching the second floor. Lysander's bedroom door was already open and Sienna followed him around it. The art studio door was open at the end of a hallway. Estelle spied her mother's dark head bent over an easel.

    "In here." Estelle opened the door to her room. Celeste and Mikael stepped inside, looking around curiously.

    Estelle sat on the edge of her bed while they wandered. Mikael pulled a few books off her shelves, inspecting the titles. He flipped through the pages of a well worn story. Estelle's cheeks warmed and the tips of her ears grew hot as Mikael flashed her a knowing look.

    "You seem to have thoroughly enjoyed this book," he said. "Do your parents know you read such...descriptive material?"

    Estelle snatched the book out of his hands. "I'm sure you've read plenty of things like it. And yes, my parents know what I read. They were there when Aunt Nesta gave me this. You should've seen the way they rolled their eyes."

    "Let me see." Celeste shouldered past Mikael. Estelle begrudgingly handed her the book. She took in the title and laughed. "This is one of my favorite books! My sister gave me a copy of it for a Winter Solstice gift one year."

    "Females," Mikael scoffed. "You should try reading something informative."

    "You should try reading something fun," Celeste retorted. "Did you paint these, Estelle?" She gestured to the finger paintings on the walls.

    Estelle nodded. "I told you I'm not as good as Lysander."

    "Oh, hush. I think they're just as good as his. Lys was right. Your styles are different but you're both talented." Celeste studied the paintings a little longer, then ducked out of the room.

    Mikael moved closer to one painting hanging near Estelle's bed. She lifted her eyebrows, recognizing it. When did Mom hang that up? She wondered.

    Mikael crossed his arms, regarding the painting. "Is this me?"

    "No."

    He glanced over his shoulder with a smirk. "It looks like me."

    "It's just a Peregryn," Estelle huffed, her face burning even more. "Not you."

    The shadows tittered scoldings in her ears. They fell silent as Mikael returned to her side. "If you wanted a portrait of me, Batsy," he murmured, lowering his cheek to hers, "you could have just asked." He headed towards the door, then paused, another sly smirk crossing his lips. "And I've been told that I make a wonderful model." He breezed out the door, leaving Estelle alone with her laughing shadows.

◦═══✦═══◦

    Mikael followed Lysander into the art studio while the females remained in Estelle's room. He tried and failed to hide his smile. Despite Estelle's denial, he was certain that painting had been of him. She had painted him.