"Okay," I said, almost like I was hypnotized by his voice.

Almost like he'd had my trust all along.

* * *

Dominick's driver sped down the expressway from Denver, taking us into the wooded hills that grew outside the city. Even growing up there, I had never gotten over the spectacular landscapes, and the fall leaves had always been my favorite.

They were just starting to turn, the colors exploding like fireworks across the forest. Burnt oranges, bright pinks, and warm yellows had taken over some trees, while others still held their green.

I turned back to Dominick. He was as close to disheveled as I had ever seen him, with a tired ache in his eyes and his shirt loose enough to rumple. I could only imagine how much the trip had taken out of him. A few days ago, I would have laid across his arms and smiled until he smiled back, but now I wasn't so certain how to behave.

"Taking me out of Denver isn't a great way to convince me you're going to be around," I said, teasing him just a little.

He smiled ruefully. "I guess the surprise destination is more exciting we're when on a proper date, isn't it?" He rubbed his hand across his face, then turned to me. "I'm taking you to my grandfather's."

"Your grandfather's?" I said, surprised to hear the answer.

"With everything you're losing lately, I thought it might be nice to visit the Zing Machine. And it doesn't hurt that my grandfather is a great guy. Maybe I'll be lucky and you'll see some similarity between us."

I imagined an older version of Dominick, then giggled despite myself when I realized he was probably just going to get more attractive over time. "I would like to see the machine," I said. "That's a nice idea."

"Good," he said, sounding satisfied. "We're just back in this next suburb."

Suburbwouldn't have been the word I chose. After pulling off the expressway, we drove immediately into the forests, following a curving road through the hills. The occasional driveways we passed often had open gates to mark them, and I imagined most led to generously spaced homes with rolling views. And sure enough, as we navigated our way deeper into the forests, every view seemed more jaw-dropping than the last.

"Right here, Bruce," he said, leaning forward to talk to the driver. "First on your right."

I suddenly startled in my seat. I was about to meet Dominick's family, and I hadn't prepared myself at all. "What did you tell him about me?" I asked quickly. "Am I your friend?"

He chuckled warmly, then reached out, patting my knee. "You can be my friend, sure, but I told him you're the guy I've been dating."

I laid my hand on top of his, feeling the curves of his fingers and the soft hairs on the backs of his knuckles. "Really? You told him we're dating?"

"Sure. I didn't move back to Denver to sit around and keep secrets from my family."

Warmth filled my chest as I wrapped my fingers around his hand. "Do you think he'll like me? What should I tell him about myself?"

"I wouldn't bring you here if he wouldn't," Dominick said. "Just be yourself. Trust me."

Dominick invited his driver in, but he opted to take a walk down the trail instead. The house was set behind some pine trees and up a winding driveway, and when Dominick pushed open my door, the smell of grass and wilderness hit my nose. I stepped out into the early evening sun, and immediately, a flock of birds shot across the sky.