26.

“You hungry? I can whip up something for you.”

Seth asked me the moment we walked through the door of the cosy cabin. This was the first thing he had said to me since we left the college, he was in a terrible mood the whole way back, I didn’t dare ask why

“You can Cook?” I asked with a laugh.

“Why is that so funny? You think I can’t cook.” A playful smile appeared on his lips, his bad mood had vanished, thankfully.

“You don’t look like the kind of guy who would spend his time in the kitchen with a cookbook.” I waved my hands all over his form to demonstrate.

“What kind of man do I look like then?”

Son of Zeus.
An Adonis reincarnated.
A god amongst men.

“A serious man. You know, barking orders from your chair.” I told him.
For the first time since we met, I heard him laugh. Not chuckle but a genuine soft laugh, pure music to my ears.

“Hmmm, that too but I’m a man of many talents. I’m very good with my hands.” He said the last part very slowly, his eyes focused solely on mine.

“I can’t wait to find out.”

A thick tension fogged us almost immediately. The double meaning in our words was unmistakable. I cleared my throat and walked over to him behind the counter and grabbed a pot from the kitchen cabinet.

“So what are we making?”

Two painstaking hours later, we found ourselves sitting on the carpeted floor in front of the fireplace, plates filled with a sweet mash, steak and a poor imitation of a Greek salad. Seth lived up to his word, he definitely knew his way around the kitchen, he was almost better than me. Almost.

“Admit it. You’re impressed.”

I was. I was impressed a long damn time ago.

“It could definitely use a little bit of pepper but I won’t penalize you for that.” I said jokingly.

“I think your aunt would rate this as a five star meal, with the exception of your salad of course.” I grimaced at that, yeah my salad was a disaster.

We both laughed at that. We had done a lot of that tonight, it was like I was with a completely different person. The cold expressionless face had dropped a long time ago, he wasn’t all serious and intimidating, he was just nice. Of course, there was still that alpha dominance that radiated off him, I never wanted that to go away, it was the sexiest thing ever.

It took me some time to realise that I had stopped eating and was openly staring at the man. I shook my head then returned to my meal, I wasn’t as hungry anymore at least not for food.

“Leave them. The help will be here tomorrow again, I don’t want you catching a cold from the freezing water.” Seth called out to me after I had finished clearing the dishes.

“Have you always wanted to businessman? I think with all those kitchen skills, you would have become a cook.” I pointed out returning to my original sitting position.

“Have you always wanted to be a history major?” He asked.

“I guess so. My dad would tell me all these amazing stories about places he had travelled to. All the things they discovered and many things yet to be discovered. I just fell in love with all that, I wanted to be like him, travel the world and see for myself all the incredible things he told me about.” I explained to him.

“So it’s more about your father than you.” It wasn’t a question. A statement rather.

I had never thought about it like that. All I knew is that I wanted to be like my dad, it’s all I have ever known.