v. pranks and penalties

Start from the beginning

     Andromeda squinted her eyes at Bronwyn, smiled contently, and returned to reading. "Wonderful."

Just then, a knock at the door sounded from the end of the room. Thinking it's most likely a new client, Andromeda deposited her magazine to the side, and hopped off of her bed, and headed to the door, "I'll get it."

From the inside of her copy of Quidditch Through the Ages Bronwyn heard the scuffles of Andromeda's feet against the floorboards, the clacking of the old fashioned metal lock, and the creaking of the hinges as the door swung open.

But that was all she heard for a few seconds afterwards.

Andromeda was staring forward, until she finally cleared her throat, "Uh, Bronwyn," she croaked, and the girl was still yet to even glance up from her book. "Care to explain why James Potter is paying us a visit?"

Bronwyn's wide eyes and creased forehead weren't necessarily because she was confused by what she had heard ─ but rather because she was displeased.

She cautiously closed her book and swung her legs to the end of the bed, and apprehensively approached the door where her roommate stood. And sure enough, James Potter, adorned in a chunky knitted sweater and trousers was standing on the other side of the frame; his expression ambiguous.

Bronwyn glanced at James looked him up and down, grimacing at the dust in his glasses, and then turned to Andromeda like the boy ceased to exist. "I know just as little as you," she said, before finally finding the motivation to address the intruder. "Come for some Quidditch tips?" she patronised. "I'm sure my team won't mind me sharing some of my wisdom if that's what you wish."

James ignored her sarcastic grin and went with a supposed-to-be-mature, polite smile in response. "I'm sure your ego would be delighted if that were to be the case, but sadly it is not."

Bronwyn let out a gush of air and crossed her arms across her chest. "Maybe for now," she muttered. "So what is it that you really want, James?"

The Gryffindor sunk his hands into his pockets, and swung forward onto the balls of his feet, "I wish to speak to you," he said as if that wasn't clear already. The two girls stared at him, their heads both cocked the same way. It took a second for him to elaborate: "In private if you don't mind."

"Andromeda hears what I hear," Bronwyn said bluntly. "That's just how it works, I'm afraid. I don't doubt that you're the same with your Black."

James Potter and Sirius Black were just as close and Bronwyn was with Andromeda, just in a much more irritating sort of way. At least the girls' relationship wasn't one to pester you or leave dungbombs under your chair when you sit down at the beginning of a lesson.

Bronwyn + Andromeda = a pair of best friends

James + Sirius = chaos

James shrugged, his hands still wedged into his pockets. "I'm not going to budge."

It was the late afternoon on a Monday and as much as Bronwyn lives for a good argument ─ especially one she knows she can win ─ she concluded now was not the time and that it would probably be best if she just gives James Potter what he wants.

Bronwyn sent a quick look at Andromeda and just by the look in her eyes, her message was received and Andromeda pushed off of the door and stood up straight. Bronwyn sighed, "Fine," she prolonged.

"I'll be downstairs if you need me," Andromeda sing-songed, her shoulder grazing James' when she walked out of the door and into the corridor. And after a few short seconds, the girl was gone, much to Bronwyn's abhorrence.