As soon as he was close enough, I smacked a hand onto his shoulder.

"You made it! I was beginning to lose faith in you dude," Faith I wouldn't have minded losing, "We've been waiting forever."

I noticed his eyes momentarily shift behind me, and I immediately knew who it was he was looking for and was confused that he didn't see.

"The ball only started like fifteen minutes ago,h-"

I cut him off by taking ahold of his collar and walking us back into the crowd.

To be hidden.

Sorry, Nico, but Doe isn't here so I'm going to need to use you for stability for tonight.

"That's not important, now hurry up we're gonna get you drunk!" I cheered, surprised by how willingly he was letting me do what I was doing.

I was using my own words to try to convince myself to enjoy this.

Maybe if I did get drunk, tonight would go smoother, though.

The thought lingered in my mind for a second, but that was absolutely not how I wanted to return to Doe.

"Yeah, that's not happening," Was Nico's monotonous reply.

As I suspected. Nico didn't typically drink at social events, but it was worth a shot.

He continued to let me lead him through these vampires until I was satisfied with our position and released him.

His head rotated as he glanced around for a moment.

"So, where is she," he asked.

I hid my cringe at the fact that his first question was that.

"She's somewhere in the back I think. Finishing up some stuff, so it's just you and me for a bit."

I hoped.

"I thought you said you guys had been waiting for me. 'We've been waiting for you,' 'We're gonna get you drunk.'."

I blinked at him.

Did I say that?

I didn't notice, It just slipped out like nothing.

Shit, sorry, Doe. I'll do better.

"Force of habit I guess, but no it's just me... for now."

He eyed me warily at my strange answer, looking me up and down.

"I see," He began, "You look somewhat relieved by that fact."

He was speaking with the same un-sure tone he had during our talk over the phone.

"I mean, It's not the end of the world," Was what I settled with.

He continued with that gaze as he tried to figure me out.

Little did he know that I was also in the works of doing that myself... Sort of.

Eventually, he looked to have come to a conclusion. Or just gave up.

"I suppose," He plucked a glass of blood as a tray of them passed. I snagged one too, "Anyway, I was expecting you to come in grey." He gestured to my attire.

Grey was typically my go-to, just like black was for him.

"I uh, I had some help," I admitted, bringing my free hand up to make sure my tie was straight.

My hand then fell into my pocket, the other one bringing the glass to my lips.

AB positive. Of course.

This whole damn night was just out to get me, I swear.

"It suits you quite well, I'll admit," He paused, glancing at what I had just straightened, "The tie is questionable, though."

I breathed out a genuine laugh.

"So I've heard. Personally, it's my favorite part," I beamed.

Just to find myself panicking about it out of nowhere.

Like I wasn't supposed to have said something like that in that open cheery tone.

It didn't fit with the guise I'd been showing him lately.

No... No this was what I was supposed to be doing.

I wasn't supposed to hide. To lie.

I was doing the right thing here!

"Xander?" Nico asked, snapping me from my thoughts.

He must have read the look on my face.

I then became conscious of how sweaty my palm felt in my pocket and on this glass.

Oh my God, why was I so nervous?

It's like I'd forgotten how to just be me when I was around him.

It was like the defaults I was used to and my want to do as Doe asked were at a standstill.

It wasn't even just nervousness... there was something else lingering around in there too with that new realization.

That our relationship had grown that bad, to begin with, because of my own actions.

Because I just let it figuring I could fix it later.

I recognized it not too long after since it was one of the main feelings that have been eating away at me lately.

Regret.

Regret buried so deep that it had rooted itself in my heart, waiting patiently for the day that I inevitably had to pull it out, and just deal with the damages it left me with.

I had talked to Doe, sure. She let me pour my regret out on what happened to her that night.

But that was just one night.

One night out of so many.

Countless nights at her expense, and then having me run to Nico to try to patch it up.

I swallowed to try to keep myself from showing the discomfort.

That moment was coming soon, I could feel it.

But not here.

I repeated that thought in my brain, and the moment I had eased myself enough to where I was somewhat comfortable, a voice rang out, causing a hitch in my breath.

"There you boys are."