Lucien and I were on good terms, I'd like to think. We've talked a handful of times, and He's aware that I know about his... unfortunate downfall.

I've heard countless stories about him from Layla, some good, and some bad, but he's always pretty put together in public.

He's always been pleasant when I was around.

But I still didn't want anyone connected to her knowing that I was here yet.

Scanning the group of people again didn't lead to any success.

He... did say that he was coming right?

Or not. Then I could go back to my room.

Back to Doe.

That'd be nice.

I continued my way to the front, probably looking like a lost child looking for their parents to anyone who happened to catch me in their gaze.

It kind of felt like it too if I'm being honest.

I was almost to the doors again, when a temporary hand on my upper arm pulled me into a halt.

"Prince," Lucien greeted as I turned to face him. There was a weary annoyance in his voice, yet I knew that it wasn't directed at me, "It's been a while."

Dammit.

I took a glance past him, luckily not spotting his sister.

"Indeed it has, " I replied, with a smile, "I'm surprised you're here. I don't think I've ever seen you at one of these."

"I'm actually just leaving. I only really came to help her with some last-minute setups, and as for Layla, she uh," He turned his head back to where I had first seen them, "She's back there. If you were looking for her."

I tried to mask my consternation at the almost knowing, sympathetic look he gave me.

It clicked something together in my mind that I'd been subconsciously piecing together for the past week.

Figuring out what it is she really wanted from me from the beginning of all of this.

What she gained from me and inevitably from Nico.

I'd like to think that I finally had come to a solid conclusion, but I wasn't completely sure yet.

"Right, thank you," Was all I responded.

And what was all he needed because after that he walked past me to continue towards the door with a small wave goodbye.

It looked like I didn't have to worry about him telling Layla about my arrival.

Although his words did tell me that she was at least expecting me.

Dammit.

I glanced back at him as he passed through the doors I arrived in, right as he walked past a familiar figure who right now had his back to me.

Nico!

Seeing him was both a relief and a bummer but...

I just barely made out the fact that he was talking to someone before I called out for him.

"Ayo Nico!" I picked up my pace.

He turned to face me, his body covering half of the girl he had been talking to.

I still got a short glimpse, and damn she was beautiful.

So was her dress.

Good for you, Nico. She can come join us later.