Clean your conscience

Swish, swish, swish. Charlotte was scrubbing the store's floor almost raw with her mop, trying to vent all of her pent-up frustrations out. The whole store looked shiny and clean enough to eat from, the shelves dusted, the records re-organized, the counter cleaned. Whenever she was stressed, angry, frustrated, or even just plain sad she let it all out by cleaning, sweeping, dusting, mopping, scrubbing, and anything else that involved cleaning. Usually in an aggressive way. She wasn't usually a neat freak like that, more like the opposite, meaning that whenever everything around her was squeaky clean it straight up was a red flag.

It was Lyndsey's day off, fortunately, as Charlotte wanted to hide in a closet for twelve and 2/3 years every time she thought of having to see Lyndsey and face her. She couldn't, she wasn't ready. Not after what she did, she thought her coworker might never forgive her. She may have ruined her relationship with Andrea, and their friendship too. And probably made her only safe haven away from home turn into one awkward hell. In her eyes, the world as we know it had come to and end. Or at least it felt like it in her gut. Why had she even kissed Lyndsey?

But maybe, Lyndsey had kissed back.

No, nope. Never. She didn't want to think about it. The problem was she couldn't stop. God, those few seconds of bliss had been so wonderful for as long as they had lasted, and never in a million years had she thought they would feel so good. She hoped she wasn't the only one who saw it like that.

Charlotte felt like Lyndsey had responded to the kiss, not only with her body, but her mind. They had a connection, at least one sided from all Charlotte knew, but she couldn't stop overthinking that kiss, that simple action of connecting your lips with someone else's. Why was it such a big deal? Charlotte knew it was a big deal to her in her heart, but she wanted to know if it had been that big a deal to the person whose lips she craved again. She needed to know. She felt like it had been of importance to Lyndsey, in a good way. That maybe she had enjoyed it at least a bit, but maybe Charlotte was being delusional. She probably was, and Lyndsey hadn't kissed back, she sadly realized.

She probably fantasized too much about it and was confusing her dreams with her reality. She much rather it had been a dream, than feeling the guilt that consumed every fiber of her being. From her fingers that were furiously gripping the mop, to the toes whose nails were painted black, to the very skin surrounding her nose ring. She felt guilt, and little more than that. Part of that little more being regret, embarrassment, and just a teensy insane part of wanting to do it all again. And soreness on her fingers from holding the mop so tightly.

Someone walked in, and following the sound of the bell at the door was a clickety-clack of heels, and she turned around expecting to greet just another regular client, the words 'Welcome' forming on her lips, when she came to a halt seeing the person she least wanted to see walking towards her. Andrea smirked a smile that can only mean trouble.

"Look ..."Charlotte started saying ready to defend Lyndsey and stop a storm that Andrea seemed to want to cause when she realized she didn't know wether Andrea had found out about the kiss or not. She changed her words in a flash

"... It's Lyndsey day off, she's not here. Sorry, maybe you can talk tomorrow" She said, hoping they did talk the next day since she wanted to avoid any confrontation destined to come her way for as long as possible.

She looked down to her lace up black combat boots, which were not an ideal fashion choice in the middle of summer but oh well, and she studied the floor around them avoiding Andrea's gaze, patiently waiting for her to leave and she could get back to guilt cleaning. The sounds of the heels started again, and thinking that Andrea left, the breath that Charlotte had been holding released from her lips, when she suddenly felt a hand on her face.

Charlotte had expected that if Andrea were to ever touch her face it would be by slapping her, but instead she had softly caressed her cheek. Andrea had lifted her chin up, as if studying her face, not saying a word during this whole process. Then her lips pressed on Charlotte's.

Charlotte frozen with shock stayed in place, her mind running rampant with only one thought in her mind. What?? Andrea is kissing me? She didn't move at all, too surprised to do anything, which only made the task easier for Andrea. The taller girl dominantly stepped forward, taking Charlotte with her and pressing her against a nearby wall, using her own hands to grab Charlotte's and putting them over her head, also against the wall, rendering the redhead defenseless, and forcing her own tongue deeper into the shorter girl's mouth.

Charlotte refused this action with every part of her being, but she couldn't move and stayed in place, not being able to fight against it. She was too shocked. And Andrea was pinning her against a wall after all, so even if she could move there's wasn't much she could do to stop her, since the girl she was against was much stronger.

Andrea let go of her, after what seemed an eternity, and with a careless expression on her face she simply stated

"It's ballsy that you kissed my girlfriend, and I can see why she kissed you back, but now she will pay for it. I'm guessing you already payed enough."

She stepped back, turned around and strode forwards towards the store's exit.

"Have a nice day!" She called with her back to Charlotte as she crossed the threshold towards the sunny outside, and Charlotte who was still too shocked to move or say anything was thinking one thing.

What did she mean by 'pay for it'? What could this monster do to Lyndsey?

And another thought wiggled into Charlotte's mind, giving her a little flicker of hope. And did she really say 'kiss you back'?