4| Groom

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Groom

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 4: Groom (Rhys' POV)

"You're marrying my sister! How does that happen, what the hell?" Ashton asked while we walked around the backyard after lunch had ended. 

"It's complicated," I mumbled, still not over the fact that Brooke actually agreed. God, why would she agree? I really thought she wouldn't agree, that's why I thought about it and said all right. "Your parents and my parents spoke, your parents really want Brooke to get married and my parents really want me to get married. They want a bride they already know, a bride people like." 

"And that's Brooke? Are you crazy? Brooke is—" 

"There's nothing wrong with Brooke, you know," I cut him off. "You need to stop talking about her like that. Even your mom. Why do you guys look at her like she's crazy?" 

"She's going crazy after her break up. You don't know anything." 

"Tell me then," I mumbled, stopping by the pond, looking down at the water where goldfish were swimming and flowers, mainly lotuses, were floating. 

"She had a boyfriend of two years, okay? Our parents didn't really like him. I liked him, Ava liked him, but our parents didn't. He left Kilthorne a few weeks ago. He asked Brooke to move with him, which made sense if you look at how serious their relationship had gotten. But my parents didn't let her. So they were forced to break up. Brooke has been spiraling ever since, okay? She started smoking, she sneaks out, and doesn't come back until the morning. God knows where she goes and who she goes with. She's actually sobering down a bit now." 

I stared at the fish, my hands in my pocket. "So, your parents only want her to get married so that she can't be with that guy, huh?" 

"Yes, exactly." 

"Then why did she agree?" I looked at him. "Why the hell would she want to marry me if she's in love with someone else?" 

"Because she can't be with the guy she's in love with. It's forbidden, Rhys." 

I blinked, staring at the water again. Forbidden. "What do you think about that?" I questioned. "Their relationship being forbidden?" 

"I think it's utter bullshit. He's a great guy, especially for Brooke. And even if he isn't, who the hell is anybody to tell them they can't be together? I don't understand all the complications. If a guy and girl love each other, they should be allowed to be together." 

I wish someone would have said that a few years ago. I wish I knew that a few years ago. I wish I would have fought a little harder for her. 

"Do you really want a miserable marriage where your wife loves someone else and you love someone else?" 

I turned to look at him so fast, I thought my neck snapped. "What?" 

"Brooke loves Griffin. You may not love someone now, but what if you fall in love with another girl later down the line? You'll both be miserable in this marriage." 

I let out a small breath of relief. I thought he knew. I thought Ava told him. "I don't have much of a choice, Ashton. I have to marry somebody. It has to be one of your sisters. It's a demand from my parents." 

"Then marry Ava." 

I shook my head, clicking my tongue. "She's younger than me." 

"Only by three years. And you two used to get along."