He nodded. "It's always your mother and Brooke." 

I chuckled, fixing the sleeve of my dress. Once they finally arrived, we got into our cars and left. "Why did they invite us to lunch suddenly?" I questioned, looking at Ashton. 

"I don't know. Dad wouldn't tell me. Something about a surprise."

I frowned in confusion, turning to look at Brooke, both of us exchanging a look. What surprise? 

We got to the palace and were led into the backyard by Mr. Rufus, the palace butler. "I'm going to die of heatstroke," Brooke mumbled. 

"It's not that hot, don't be dramatic," Ashton scoffed. 

I bit back a chuckle as we reached the table and took our seats, saying hi's and hello's to the king and queen. I never greet Rhys anyway, nor does he greet me. 

"Roman, have you told them why they were invited today?" Mr. Phoenix asked. 

"No, not yet," Dad chuckled. "Why don't you do the honors?" 

"Well yes, why not? Let's get right into it." He turned to the three of us since we sat in line, Ashton, me, and then Brooke. "You all were there last night at the ball, so you must know Rhys is getting married soon." 

They found a bride already? 

I took a glance at him and found him staring right at me. I looked over to his dad quickly listening to what he had to say. 

"We were thinking," he gestured to himself and his wife, "that it would be much better if there was a way to make the whole bride-hunt process much shorter. And of course, we still want the daughter-in-law of this house to be wonderful. If we just cut the process short, Rhys wouldn't have to spend a lot of time getting to know the girl if he already knows her."

 Brooke and I stiffened immediately, looking at each other. 

"We thought, who's best if not you two?" 

I stayed quiet, biting the inside of my cheek so hard, I was afraid I'd draw blood. 

"So," he cleared his throat, "Brooke." 

I looked at her as her eyes widened. "M-me?" She stammered. 

"Would you like to marry Rhys?" 

I didn't know how to react. I didn't know if I should be relieved or hurt or offended. 

"Me?" she repeated. 

"Yes, you," Mrs. Gemma laughed softly. "You seem surprised." 

Brooke tucked her hair behind her ear, looking at Rhys. "Um, well... I am." She looked back at them. "I thought it would be Ava." She glanced at me. 

"Why would it be me?" I chuckled awkwardly. 

"You both are wonderful girls, but Ava's a little young, younger than you anyhow. We all agreed that you and Rhys would be a much better match, don't you think so?" Mrs. Gemma questioned. 

"Well, I... I don't, um... Rhys and I argue a lot," she mumbled. I could sense the panic radiating off of her. 

Oh, my God, Brooke please don't do something stupid.