personal assistant pt. 3

Start from the beginning

i scooted in so that i was in the middle seat, right beside her. my hand falls to her thigh, in which i squeezed comfortingly and i heard her let out a small sigh.

"i just wanted to clarify with you... just to see if we're on the same page, about how lowkey we'd like our relationship to be..." i trailed off, looking at her for any signs of objection or discomfort.

she nods again, seemingly processing what i just said before letting out a small, "oh."

i rubbed her thigh lightly, silently telling her that it wasn't something to stress over. she then turns to look at me after a few seconds of thinking.

"i.. don't know. i've never really thought about keeping it lowkey at all, i'm so sorry. has it all been too much too soon?"

i just shook my head and gave her a reassuring smile.

"not at all. i really was just concerned about how our relationship might affect you, as a public figure-"

she cuts me off, looking at me incredulously, "woah woah, wait. what does my love life have anything to do with me as a public figure?"

there were so many things a relationship could affect or jeopardise if you're someone like lena luthor. i was surprised she wasn't more mindful about this.

i shrugged, "rumours that could affect your credibility? hooking up with your personal assistant?"

her jaw dropped and she stares at me in disbelief. "we're not.. hooking up!"

i just laughed, laying my head on her shoulder as i played with her fingers, "you and i know that. the rest of the world don't."

she rests her head on mine, and then there was a few moments of silence. i assume it was her processing all the potential scenarios that might take place if she were to come out and say 'my personal assistant and i are dating!'

as much as i'd like to be with lena with no public restraint, i'd be damed if it caused her all the hard work she's put in all these years.

after a while, i realised we were pulling into the office lobby so i decided to break the silence, "if you're okay with our relationship being public, then so am i. but just take a while to think through it, okay?"

she just nods before giving my forehead a quick peck. but i decided to be a little bolder and leaned in for a chaste kiss on the lips right before the chauffeur rolled down the partition.

we got out of the car and walked into the building, and as usual, everyone's attention would be on the luthor one way or another. but this time, it felt different.

i walked about a step behind lena, just like any other personal assistant would do. usually i'd feel insignificant, unnoticed but today? people were looking at me.

what the hell is going on?

as we were brisk walking towards the lift, i noticed kelly standing in front of a pillar waving and signalling her phone to me. i furrowed my eyebrows before whipping out my phone to check what this was all about, all while brisk walking to match up to lena's fast pace.

the moment i opened my chat with kelly, i felt my heart sink.

there were links of articles with headlines taken straight from my worst nightmares, written from different news platforms. about me and lena.

SCANDAL ALERT: LENA LUTHOR AND PERSONAL ASSISTANT.

LENA LUTHOR'S NEWFOUND LOVE?

my eyes scanned through the articles as i followed lena into the elevator. just as the doors closed, i read the last headline that made my throat suddenly feel restricted. i tried swallowing my spit to relieve the feeling, but it just got worse.