Part 5

CHAPTER FOUR

 Davis was still.  Their gazes held, but he gave no indication as to the thoughts hidden behind his mahogany eyes.  Cressida could barely draw breath, anxiously waiting for the look of contempt that her weakness deserved.  But instead she watched mesmerized as Davis reached slowly for the hand which rested on her chest, and then raised it – his eyes still locked with hers – and pressed his lips against her delicate palm.

             He stepped closer.  So close that their bodies were almost, but not quite touching.  So close that Cressida could feel the soft brush of his breath on her face, and smell the musky, rich aroma of his aftershave.  He held her hand to his chest as he leaned over her.  His dark frame enclosed her; cocooned by his long, powerful legs.  Her gaze dropped to his mouth and she waited expectantly for his lips to descend on hers.  Davis saw her tongue dart nervously over her lips, moistening them, and he bent his head to taste their sweetness.  But a thump from the door caused Cressida to flinch.

             "Dr Thorndon-Davis?"  A young, hesitant voice called from the other side.  Davis reached out and turned the key sharply in the lock.

             "Davis?  Shouldn't we ..." began Cressida in concern.  But the student was quickly forgotten as a thrill of anticipation shivered through Cressida.  Her eyes were caught in his intense gaze before his mouth slowly – agonizingly slowly – came to meet hers.  The kiss was gentle at first, tenderly probing at her mouth and savouring the new sensations.  But then it became more insistent and demanding.  His tongue darted into her mouth, tantalizing and teasing her.

             Somewhere, deep in her subconscious, a panicked voice was screaming, 'this can't be right!'  I should be watching Davis from a distance, safely invisible, not here in his arms!  But for now it was easy to ignore the voice of caution and to concentrate simply on the delicious sensation of his lips against her own.  Cressida's mouth moved with his, thirsty to taste and explore.

             Davis growled deep in his throat and pressed closer to Cressida.  His chest was now hard against hers, the rough fabric of his shirt brushed against her breasts, protected only by her lacy underwear and thin blouse.  His grip tightened as he held her hand to his chest; his firm thighs pressed against her hips.  Davis began to touch his lips to her cheeks and neck, caressing the soft skin, and Cressida turned her mouth against his prickly chin.  The voice of reason inside her, which had demanded a stop to this foolish abandon and wanted to know why this was happening, was now forgotten.  There was no past or future which needed to be agonized over, just the simple, overwhelming present.  The world had shrunk until there was only the two of them, relishing the wonderful new intensity and awareness that was burning between them.

             "Dr Thorndon-Davis!"  The accompanying thud was so determined that Cressida felt the door jerk behind her.  Startled from her overpowering emotions, Cressida became aware of the crowd of voices on the other side of the door.  They were not loud enough for her to understand the words, but the feelings of confusion and anger were clear enough.

             "Davis," she warned, and smiled at his answering groan.  He rested his forehead next to hers for a moment, his breath making the soft hairs on her neck tingle, and then reluctantly stepped back.  Lifting her hand once more, he planted another regretful, farewell kiss on her palm and then turned the key in the lock.

             "Until tomorrow," he promised.

             Cressida picked up her bag as Davis opened the door for her.  He jokingly berated his students for their impatience and told them not to crowd the doorway.  Cressida kept her eyes firmly on the floor as she passed through and started down the corridor, afraid of what her face reveal if she glanced at Davis, or what she might read in the curious looks of the students.