Overlapping Emotions Pt. 1

It was a quiet morning in the household of Sam Wilson, small bits of sunlight seeping in through the windows, his cup of coffee already empty. He prepared to make breakfast as he stretched his arms and yawned.

Nothing could possibly disrupt this absolutely amazing-

THUD THUD THUD

Of course something can. The sound of three loud thuds from the front door alerted Sam as he quickly moved to look out the window.

He saw two familiar faces and a third which he knew only from TV and by name.

Opening the door, he's met face to face with Steve Rogers, Natasha Romanoff and of course, (Y/N) (L/N), who was helping Natasha stand.

"Hey, man." Sam says to Steve as he notices the dirt on his face.

"I'm sorry about this. We need a place to lay low." Steve tells him.

"Everyone we know is trying to kill us." Natasha says as (Y/N) chimes in.

"Everyone we know and don't know. That says a lot." He says as Sam takes on a confident look.

"Not everyone."

Sam proceeded to let all three of them in as he looked outside one last time before closing the door and locking it.

Steve cleaned his face as he and Sam were talking about something. (Y/N) approached him.

"(Y/N) (L/N)." He said as he shook his hand.

"Yeah, I know. Sam Wilson." He says with a cheeky smile as he gets patted on the shoulder.

Sam went to turn around but was stopped by (Y/N) who called out to him.

"Hey, uh... Thank you. For this." He told him as Sam just smiles.

"Don't mention it." He responds as he goes into the room Steve's in.

(Y/N) went into another room and took off his dirty and almost torn shirt and cleaned his sweat and some dirt off with it.

He reached out behind to clean before wincing and pulling his arm back.

He approached a mirror and turned around. His back had quite a bruise running on one side, probably from slamming his back straight into all of that rubble back at the bunker.

He saw someone approach him from behind in the mirror, he instantly knew who it was even if he didn't get a good look, as he felt their hand going over the bruise on his back.

"Do you always have to put yourself in harms way to protect me?" Natasha asks as he chuckles.

"Well, it wasn't just you this time." He responds as she didn't seem to be in a joking mood, well he wouldn't either if he was in her shoes.

He grabbed a spare shirt he found laying on the side and put it on, sighing but he suddenly saw Natasha sit down with a solemn look on her face, not her Black Widow look or just her normal sassy look, this was... Different.

"Hey, something wrong?" He asked as he turned to her and slowly made his way to her side.

"Nothing, just..." She trails off as she's in deep thought.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" He says as he's standing next to her with an eyebrow raised.

"Yeah, I know." She says with a sigh.

"So, what are you waiting for? I'm all ears." He says with a small smile.

"Well, when I first joined S.H.I.E.L.D., I thought I was going straight. But I guess I just traded in the KGB for Hydra. I thought I knew whose lies I was telling, but... I guess I can't tell the difference anymore." She says with a hint of regret.