23. A Deal is a Deal

Start from the beginning

    The shadows only laughed in reply. Estelle rolled her eyes before selecting the mixed colors. She entered a dressing room and hastily changed. Estelle took a moment to examine herself in the mirror.

    The leathers were soft, compared to her Illyrian ones. They fit her just as snugly, but had fewer buckles. The leathers zipped up in the back and panels of material buckled around the base of her wings. There were a few decorative buckles down the front of the leathers. The pants were lined with pockets and hidden folds, perfect for discreetly placed weapons.

    Estelle rotated her limbs and did a few stretches, testing the mobility of the leathers. They made even less sound than her Illyrian leathers. She stepped out of the dressing room and spun, letting Celeste and Sienna see.

    "I like it," Sienna remarked.

    "Your ass looks very nice," Celeste snickered.

    Estelle snorted with amusement. "Thanks."

    "What do you think?"

    "I like them."

    Sienna stroked her chin thoughtfully. "Keep them on. You can wear them to the dance hall and break them in a little bit."

    Estelle furrowed her brows. "Will Hestia allow that?"

    "Will I allow what?" Hestia's voice called from across the room.

    Estelle grabbed her old leathers and weapons out of the dressing room while Celeste and Sienna explained their idea to the shop owner. They were already paying when Estelle rejoined them. Hestia smiled, handing her a bag. Estelle folded her old leathers up and placed them in it, then buckled Aesira to her back and Znaniya to her thigh.

    "Come back soon, Girls!" Hestia called as they headed out the door.

    "Make sure you let me know when the little one arrives. I want to see her!" Celeste laughed. The door closed behind them and they started towards the dance hall.

◦═══✦═══◦

    Mikael stretched his wings over the back of his seat. Calden sat across from him, holding a drink. "I always forget how long they take while shopping," he groaned.

    "You take just as long, Calden," Mikael laughed.

    Calden raked his fingers through blonde hair with a smirk. "I have an excuse. I have excellent taste and I can't afford to cut corners when it comes to dressing myself."

    "Of course."

    "Have you talked to your father about your plan regarding Estelle yet?"

    "Not yet. I want to make sure she's all right with it first."

    "Good idea." Calden tilted his head as the doors opened. Celeste, Sienna, and Estelle strode inside.

    Mikael straightened, taking in Estelle's new Peregryn leathers. "You're staring," she murmured, sliding into the seat beside his.

    "Come on, Calden. Let's dance." Celeste took the male's hand and pulled him out of his seat. Sienna laughed, following them onto the floor. A heartbeat later, she'd found a partner of her own.

    "You're right, Batsy. Black is your color," Mikael said. He swiped Calden's discarded drink and sipped it. "How do you like them?"

    "They're softer and lighter than Illyrian leathers. They don't feel as sturdy."

    "I know what you mean. Our leathers are made that way so that it's easier to wear the golden armor over them."

    "Illyrians still wear armor over their leathers sometimes." Estelle snatched Calden's drink from his hand and downed the last of it. Mikael smirked. "Celeste and Sienna explained the Peregryn Rite to me the other day. They said you haven't completed it. Will your fathers not let you?"