Chapter 2. Caleb

Everything is so green. This is really really nice. Adam is laying on my chest. I'm laying on his bed. My arms are wrapped around him, his are draped over my shoulders. The quickly fading sun makes for the perfect atmosphere...
     And then my phone starts ringing. Fuck. I groan and Adam sighs as I reach for my phone off his nightstand. It's my mom. She tells me I need to get home for family dinner tonight, we're celebrating my dad finishing the first draft of his most recent manuscript. This will be fine, everyone will be less stressed than unusual. But I still don't want to leave Adam.
     I'm sure he heard both ends of the phone call with how close he is. He moves so he's facing down on my chest now. I kiss his head and help him roll off of me. We try to lie like this for a moment trying to make it last. He swings his legs off the bed and shakes out his hair with his hand. I sit up next to him and squeeze his hand before getting up.
     I can feel the cooler blues in the ocean of his emotions now. The green has faded and is replaced with the dark sadness. Not quite the sludge or the loneliness I used to feel from him but something new. Something the makes me feel a pit at the bottom of my stomach.
     After we shut down his Xbox and pack my bag, Adam offers to walk me out like he always does. When we get to the door, I pull him gently by his shirt color and kiss his jaw just in front of his ear. The usual giddy comfortable butterflies fill my lungs.
     "I'll see you on Monday, dork" I can't help but smile to be back in this routine.
     "Til then, meathead" God, I love him. He reaches up to steal one last kiss before I turn away and walk to my car.