Chapter 41: SURPRISE!- Joseph's Pov

"How is this possible?" I breathe out. I'm having a bit of trouble breathing right now with everything that's just been revealed.

"Thought I died?" Barry nods towards me with an annoyed face. "I prayed to God that you did." I snap back at him bitterly. Barry begins walking up to me with flaming nostrils.

"Okay, let's just calm down here." Louise steps in the middle of us. After Louise had hugged her cousin Hartley had stood by me in silence. His eyes drifted on me every other second.

"Did you think I was dead Louise?" Barry paces up to Louise. "Joseph and I prayed together," jokes Louise. I smirk to myself. "Keep your smugness to a minimum Capurso," frowns Barry.

"How come you didn't meet us at Joseph's Grandparent's house?" Louise asks Hartley. "This knucklehead over here forgot our directions at the bottom of the Atlantic ocean." Barry leans against the wall of the theatre. "Hey, people make mistakes," shrugs Hartley.

"Well I'm glad you made it out alive." I smile over at Hartley. "Thanks pal. Well since I didn't have the address I decided our best bet was to travel to Milan to find Beatrice."

"Did you find her? Is she alright? How is she? Where is she?" Louise bursts out.

Barry smiles a mischievous smile. "Why don't you come with me and you'll see." Placing an arm around her shoulders, he begins to lead her out of the dimly lit theatre. Instantly, Louise throws Barry's muscular arm off her.

"So you found the diamond?"

She told me she loved me and I stood there like a fool. I should've said it back.

"Joseph?"

What if I'll never get the opportunity to say it back because of how much of a coward I am. I just need to say it before it's too late. But what does it matter if I may never see her again?

"Joseph, Captain America wants your assistance in fighting the war?" This catches my full attention.

"What?" My eyes draw away from Louise's figure. "Knew that'd get your attention," chuckles Hartley from beside me. "I'm sorry I'm kind of trying to process what's just happened.

"Do you mean finding out we're still alive or the fact that I witnessed my cousin confessing her love for you?" I begin to speak but stop feeling it's better I don't say anything else. "Look, you're my closest friend," Hartley starts.

"I am?" I'm not sure how I am since we've barely had enough time to become acquainted with each other. "Yeah, I mean I thought you had died and of course I was worried about you. And Louise, of course." His eyes don't meet mine

"Look what I'm trying to say is I'm glad the Germans didn't gut you like a fish into the Atlantic." I laugh but Hartley doesn't.

"That would be a pretty crummy way to die," I admit. He just nods.

After about ten minutes of walking in silence, we reached an apartment complex. The structure appears old, leading me to believe it's foundation could crumble to the ground any second.

"It's so hot today!" Louise fans her bright pink cheeks. "It is a bit hotter than usual, I suppose." I walked up to her. "It's a long walk. I'm always exhausted after walking to Bea's apartment each day." Hartley chimes in.

"You've been staying with Beatrice this whole time?" I ask. Barry nods. "Yeah, she's been a swell host," Barry answers.

"She's been helping us look for you but no luck up until now," Barry adds.

We head into the lobby of the old apartment looking for the stairs. "Great! Of course there's no elevator!" Louise's eyes look lost and heavy. Beads of sweat rest at the top of her forehead, threatening to trail down. It's not even that warm today and she's been complaining of the heat since our train ride here. There's something wrong with her.