four.

2019 is the first year Park Sunghoon qualifies for the senior category of the ISU Grand Prix. He's invited, alongside Heeseung and two others, to represent the Republic of Korea.

The ISU Grand Prix is a series of seven competitions in total. Each invited skater represents their country at a randomly assigned two out of six qualifying rounds, of which their placing and total score determine their ranking among all skaters in their category. The top 6 in each category will compete in the Grand Prix Final in December, held in Turin, Italy.

"Did you hear Kim Sunoo got invited to represent the States?" Heeseung asks, as they head for a break after their coach's briefing on the competition. "I wonder which locations he'll be assigned to."

"I don't really care," Sunghoon answers dryly. "I'll beat him in any country that I have to. It doesn't make a difference."

"You know you don't have to pretend with me," Heeseung says lightly. "I've known you too long to think you really mean that."

"You don't really understand," Sunghoon answers, dragging his fingers through his sweat-dampened hair. "I can't lose. Not now, not ever."

"No one ever told you second place meant losing, Sunghoon."

"I told myself that," the younger boy says, eyes steely. "If I'm not the best, then I'm nothing. Second is a terrible place, two is a terrible number and losing is a terrible feeling. I won't let it happen again.

Something Sunghoon can't decipher passes over Heeseung's face for just a moment, but the older boy doesn't say anything more. As he's learned over the years, there isn't much to be gained from arguing with Sunghoon over things he's made up his mind about.

There are two routines a skater has to learn for the Grand Prix, a short program and a longer choreography known as the free skate. Competitors will skate the same two routines for both cups they participate in, and in the Finals if they qualify.

Sunghoon's short program is set to an orchestral production of A Whole New World from the Disney movie Aladdin, his free skate to Fantaisie Impromptu by Chopin. They are, as requested, precisely choreographed to fit his personal style and strengths. His coach has high hopes of him making a strong debut in the senior category of international ice skating, and Sunghoon doesn't set his personal standards any lower.

His goal? First place, of course. One is his favorite number, after all these years.

Sunghoon's first event begins in November, and there are five months left for him to prepare.

Only the ice knows his blood, sweat and tears.

Kim Sunoo is assigned the Rostelecom Cup and the NHK Trophy, which means Sunghoon will be skating against him in Sapporo for the first time since their last Nationals together. Sunghoon and Heeseung are the first team to leave Seoul for their first assignment, the Internationaux de France.

They are bombarded by a deluge of media personnel at the airport upon touchdown. Sunghoon and Heeseung arrive around the same time period as the rest of the competitors, which means the paparazzi are well prepared to receive not just them but an entire runway's worth of internationally-renowned skaters.

"Sunghoon! How are you feeling about this week's competition?"

"Sunghoon, it's your first time skating in the ISU Grand Prix, what are your thoughts?"

"Heeseung, are you confident in skating against Park Sunghoon for your first senior Grand Prix?"

Sunghoon and Heeseung don't stop long, staying put for just enough time to give brief statements before Coach Bang ushers them away to their limousine.

"You know me, I have high expectations," Sunghoon says mildly. "I'm confident of my performance this season, first time or not."

He waits a beat more before adding on, as if on second thought.

"I'll see you in Italy in December."

For the Finals.

The paparazzi seem to be satisfied with Sunghoon's declaration, distracting themselves with chatter for just enough time for him to slip away. There's no lie in his words. He expects to make it through to the finals, just as he expects the sun to rise in the morning. Not a distant hope or a faraway goal, but a given.

Sunghoon avoids thinking about what would happen if he doesn't.

His coach has had two slots of three hours each booked out for his practice at the competition rink itself, allowing Sunghoon some time to acclimatise himself to the ice leading up to his first international senior event. The three days pass without incident. Sunghoon adapts easily to the environment of the competition rink, as is expected from a skater of his proficiency, and the rigor of his personal training doesn't let up in any way. He's set on making a strong start early on in the game.

Heeseung urges him to sleep early the night before. Sunghoon, nevertheless, doesn't end up falling asleep until the early hours of the morning.