Chapter 34

I had trouble falling back asleep last night. My heart was beating quickly from the adrenaline I got race walking back here. Thankfully I didn't bump into anyone and Zayn was still asleep when I got back to my room.

I'm on probably six hours of sleep. I've gotten so used to waking up at seven every day for work that sleeping in to me is waking up five minutes late. I lay flat on my back, exhaling loudly every time as I keep watching my ceiling. I can hear the rustling of pans and dishes coming from the kitchen. I'm starving but talking to Zayn after sneaking back in here last night doesn't sound ideal.

I hate keeping this secret from him. I hate keeping secrets. This time, this secret is something I really can never tell him. He's the one totally against whatever I'm doing with Harry. I don't blame him but a girl has got to have some fun. Having this little fling with Harry makes my adrenaline go up. It makes my heart beat faster and my stomach fill with butterflies. It makes me feel younger than I really am.

I sit up from my spot, screwing my eyes shut as I feel the pounding coming from the back of my head. Great.

Once the pounding fades away I stand up on my feet, stretching out my arms and torso. I lazily shuffle to the bathroom across the hall and brush my teeth, wash my face, and splash more water on my face to wake me up.

I walk back to the kitchen, the scent of coffee hitting my nostrils. Zayn is already sitting at the kitchen table while reading through a file.

"'Morning." I softly say as I walk over to cabinets. I pick out my favorite mug, a mug from the airport. I was passing time while I waited for Zara to get me so I bought my first thing in New York. It's tacky, really. It's a drawing of a New York skyline.

"Hey," Zayn responds, then stuffs a piece of toast into his mouth.

Once I get my coffee ready I grab a blueberry muffin and sit across from Zayn. "Whatcha got there?" I nod over to the folder he's reading through.

"This police report is making us look like crazy people. There is not one bit of evidence that the truck was even following us. It looks like we made the whole thing up. Like we set the whole thing up." He rolls his eyes, smacking the papers back on the table.

"What?" I nearly want to yell in anger. I grab the papers by his side, quickly scanning through the police report.

There were no tire marks around the area the suspects reported the truck came to a stop. Only glass shards and bullet casings were found around the area.

"There's no evidence?" My eyes widen, "It was following us, shooting at us. How is there no evidence that the truck even exists? Do they not believe us? We were all there! We saw it happen. Hell, I shot back at them and now they're saying there's no proof it was even following us?"

"And the first thing those guys did was shoot out our back camera. They knew what they were doing. They're just going to keep taunting and taunting us until we snap." He groans in frustration.

First, it was the boat magically disappearing when I was calling for backup. Now there's no proof of that truck shooting at us? As much as we all don't want to admit it, this gang is smart. They know what they're doing. They know how to cover up their tracks. Which will make this even harder for all of us. Especially Harry.

"Do you think they'll hit the ball? It'd make sense. Harry, Mitch, and Becca are right there, center stage.  Shootout everyone? Massacre us?" The more I think about it, the more I want to throw up. Partly because it's a big possibility and partly because Zayn and I can't do anything to stop it.