1.8 || You Got Lucky

"Malaika Root is our champion!"

The audience roared as my name was announced for first place. I collapsed onto the ground, panting heavily looking at the sky, "I- I did it?" I asked myself in disbelief.

I screamed in triumph at the sky with my arms stretching out to grab at the beautiful puffy clouds. "You hear that, Shetani?" tears began flowing down my face, not caring or the competitors racing in or the crowd congratulating me.

"I fucking did it," I cry out loud to a world that never noticed me until now.

I laid in the grass until all students, with the ability to, passed the finish line. Midoriya, Bakugou, then Todoroki finished after me and in that order. Towards the ending, Kaminari and Kirishima collapsed on either side of me. Then came Sero panting with his hands on his knees. "Wow, Mal, where were you hiding all that power?" Kaminari asked once we all calmed down, "I wasn't necessarily hiding anything, my wings are just really strong ones." Mina soon came tumbling through the finish line and fell onto Sero who cried out in surprise. "Good job you guys," I said, finally recovering enough to stand, "I'm proud of each of you."

After healing all of Bakusquad of damages, I looked for Bakugou to do the same. "Do you have any idea where Bakugou went?" I turned to Kirishima to ask, "Nah, but I wouldn't go looking. He might blow you up," he laughed out a reply. "Yeah! You totally kicked his butt out there," Mina said, doing a small victory dance and mocking Bakugou. I laughed and said my farewells to them for the time being.

The students had half an hour to recover which was more than enough time to find a grumpy porcupine. I searched up and down hallways with no sign of him. With only 10 minutes left of our break, and no sign of him, I give up and head to our class waiting room to rest. My hand touched the door's cold handle and I pushed with little effort to open it.

"I've been looking for you, have you been in here the whole time?" I asked my blonde-haired friend. He sat in the empty room alone while our class was most likely snacking on the many food choices the festival provides. Walking over to grab a water bottle, I leaned on the table Bakugou sat at. "Hey," I called out, "You just got lucky out there, I'm stronger than you."

"Woah, calm down Bakugou," I warned before taking a sip from the water bottle. My eyes looked down at him with confusion, "You did great." He glared at me with a growl.

"Tch, I couldn't even beat shitty Deku-"

"Shitty Deku isn't as weak as you think he is," I assured, "Plus, who's Deku to you? Stop comparing." He stood up with a huff, looking down at me. The chair screeched against the floor painfully. He grabbed an extra scrunchie that I left on the table this morning, and motioned for me to turn around. I did as told, standing up straighter.

"You talk about him a lot for supposedly hating his guts," I spoke out. Bakugou bit the edge of my scrunchie as he gathered my hair in both hands, gently combing through kinks with his fingers. I muttered a thanks softly, liking the feeling of someone doing my hair for the first time in years. "We have... history," he states slowly.

We stayed silent as he gently pulled my hair into a ponytail. I turned back to look up into those crimson eyes before I dared to continue, "He beat you up in kindergarten or something?" I laughed at my joke, picturing a smaller Midoriya throwing small fists at the angry porcupine I've grown fond of. His expression hardened into another glare, his jaw clenched tightly.

"You got lucky," he screamed down at me while snatching my water bottle and chugging the remaining water. I widened my eyes as he gulped it all down, "my water..."

He wiped his mouth and returned the empty bottle to my hand. "You won't beat me again," he stomped off, slamming the door after he left the room.

I stood, stunned, inside our empty waiting room. My free hand brushed my ponytail he did for me and the other holding my water bottle he chugged before screaming in my face.