Chapter 33.1

The greatest of all warriors is the one who prevents the war.

     - Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Gabriel]

Hope is in one of her stubborn moods.

Standing before a closed door, Gabriel let out a long breath. "Sai, override the lock."

The AI replied from an overhead speaker. "I am sorry, Gabriel, but Hope requested not to let anyone in."

"She is upset. I think I can make her feel better."

"Past observations indicate your council is more likely to irritate Hope than to calm her, Gabriel." 

"She can be fairly irritating herself," he grumbled. "But that is why I might be successful. Her low expectations would make it more likely that she would listen."

"That is not logical, Gabriel."

"Its human psychology, Sai. It's not supposed to be logical."

"I see. Humans are often illogical. Very well, Gabriel. Access granted."

After an audible click, Gabriel pushed the rounded metal hatch open to a darkened room. Light from the passageway cast a beam across the room to the bed against the far wall. His sister laid on her side in the gloom, facing away. "You've been holed up in here for almost a day, Hope. Everyone is worried about you."

"How did you get in here?" she said, turning to her brother.

"I told Sai that human psychology is not logical."

Hope scrunched her forehead for a moment, then said, "Go away, Gab."

He huffed. "Aren't you a ray of sunshine."

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Lights low, warm color," Gabriel said while plopping down in her desk chair. A gentle glow enriched with reds and yellows illuminated the room. "If you can't talk to your annoying brother, who can you talk to?"

"What are you going to do? Use psychology on me?"

"Hey, sometimes it works. Doctor Gab is now in session."

"You're worse than Sai." Hope rolled over to sit on the bed with elbows on knees and head turned down. Long dark hair hung down to frame her face. Her leg stump, minus the prosthetic, unsettled Gabriel for a moment and reminded him she suffered more on Ephenia than he did.

"Fine," she grumbled, "I don't want people to die for me. There, I said it."

"Those on the Covenant didn't die for you, Hope."

Jerking her head up, she retorted, "What kind of quack are you?"

"They died for the Sol Empress and everything she represents, not you personally." He held his hands up against her narrow-eyed glare. "Don't get me wrong, there are those who would risk their lives for you — Dad, Celeste, Eshe, and maybe even me. If you want to honor those who died, be the Empress."

Hope sighed. "I'm not sure I am up to it. It ripped my heart out when they sacrificed themselves."

Gabriel leaned forward. "You care, Hope, so it hurts. And that is why you could make a good Empress." He leaned back and laced fingers behind his neck. "Besides, if you don't, I just may proclaim myself Emperor." 

A loud snort escaped Hope's lips.

Gabriel stiffened. "Hey, it wouldn't be that bad!" He put a hand to his chin and gazed upward. "I wonder if I could have a harem?"