Chapter 11.1

A loving family, in whatever its form, is a wonderful thing.

- Writings of the Sol Empress, Words of Faith

[Celeste]

Bee-bot buzzed about in the garden from flower to flower, oblivious in its botanical task to the visitors seated around a small table. Moon babbled soft sounds to the bundle in his arms, gently rocking Gabriel. The baby boy, only just seven days old, looked up at his father's face in apparent wonder. His sisters napped, Faith on Celeste's lap and Hope against Mihra's shoulder.

Celeste gazed at the babies, one-by-one, filling her with a joyful warmth. So peaceful, so innocent.

Already they exhibited subtle differences in behavior. Gabriel did not sleep as much as his sisters and expressed himself more with motions than voice. Hope fussed more than the others, becoming more demanding when hungry or in need of a diaper change. Faith was the calmest of the three and the most attentive to her surroundings.

Moon stood up from his chair, giving up the attempt to get Gabriel to fall asleep. He announced, "Us boys are going out for a while."

Celeste tilted her head. "And do what?"

"We're gonna check out the neighborhood. And do, you know... man stuff. We can't just hang around with girls all day."

She smirked. "Okay, just don't get into trouble."

Moon dropped his jaw, putting a mock shocked expression on his face. "Us get in trouble? Never!" The baby in his arms squirmed, kicking his legs and flexing his arms. "You tell her, Gabriel. We don't do trouble."

Celeste's eyes tracked Moon as he walked out the door, turning down the hallway. A broad grin came to her face. She turned her eyes up. "Sai, Moon excels at trouble. Watch after them and make sure they don't actually find it."

"Of course, Priestess. Captain Moon has demonstrated a tendency for placing himself in difficult situations."

"Well, Sai, I am fairly sure I qualify as one of his difficult situations." Celeste turned to Mihra, grinning. "The boys will be back to us girls fairly soon, especially when the youngest one gets hungry."

Hope squirmed in Mihra's lap, letting out a faint squeak, then settled back into her nap. Mihra tilted her head. "I have always wondered what little babies dream about."

"They are trying to process this strange new existence, I imagine. And maybe wishing they could go back into the womb." Celeste became pensive as fears for the children passed over her like a dark cloud. "I am afraid for their future, Mihra."

"Of that, I have come to a most vivid understanding. Regardless of their genetics, Celeste, you are their mother. And do not all good mothers fear for their children?"

Celeste took a deep breath. "And I put Moon's life in danger without his consent."

Mihra jerked her head up. "Girl, he could have easily turned you in or dumped you off along the way! He made his choice! He chose you, these little ones, and the Line of the Empress."

Celeste shook her head. "But he has little regard for rules or tradition..."

"...But he does what be right and honorable."

"And he keeps saying 'no worries' when we should worry..."

"...But then he saves the day."

"He has a reputation for getting drunk and disorderly..."

"...But now a gentleman to you and a good father to the babies."

"He is a loner and an introvert..."

"...But he likes to spend time with you and the children."