29. I'm More Like You Than I Thought

Start from the beginning

"Emma?"

Severus.

She wanted to open her eyes. Why were her eyelids so heavy? Another groan. Her arms refused to cooperate. She blinked, her eyes slowly adjusting to the bright light.

Where am I?

"Emma."

Her head fell to the side. Severus sat beside her, his face pale as a ghost and with deep, dark bags under his eyes. He leaned forward in his seat, taking her hand in his.

"What happened?" Her lips wouldn't move properly, so the words came out sluggish and distorted. Her voice sounded hoarse.

"You're safe, Em. You're alright."

No. Her head lulled from side to side. There was something... Something important... What was it? The pain dulled her mind, making it impossible to think.

"It hurts."

"I know. Poppy gave you a blood-replenishing potion, but it takes time."

"Blood..." Sectumsempra. The image flashed before her eyes. Quirinus. The red streak of light, coming at her until the whole world turned crimson. She gasped, trying to push up from the bed, but she felt too heavy. Her arms weren't strong enough. "Quirrell," she uttered. "You were right. It was Quirrell."

"Emma –"

"And You-Know-Who." She gulped. "His voice. I heard his voice. He was already there."

"Emma, stop. Lie still. They've been taken care of. Just rest."

Her breathing slowed and the exhaustion overwhelmed her. "Okay," she muttered. "Okay."

She wasn't sure how long she'd been lying there, but when she opened her eyes for the second time, her body didn't feel nearly as heavy. The throbbing pain in her veins had dulled. Yet Severus still sat beside her.

He stared down at the floor, his shoulders sagged. His hand still held hers tightly, as if he was afraid he'd lose her if he let go.

"Hey."

His head shot up. "Hi. How are you feeling now?"

"I dunno," she said, pushing herself a little higher up on her pillow. "Tired."

The ghost of a smile passed across his lips. "You've had a long day."

"How did I get here?"

"I found you," he whispered. "All covered in blood. You were barely breathing."

She nodded. "Sectumsempra. I tried to shield it, but..."

"I think you did," he said. "Partially, anyway. You would've been dead already if you hadn't blocked some of the force of that spell."

"How did he know it? Did you teach him?"

"No." The word came out like a snarl. He cleared his throat. "His master must've taught him."

Emma nodded. "He's back. You-Know-Who... Voldemort is back. You know that, right?"

It was only when his thumb massaged the back of her hand that she realised her breathing had quickened. She closed her eyes and leaned her head back against the headboard to regain her composure.

"He tried to come back. But Quirrell did not succeed."

"Did you defeat him?" When he stayed quiet, Emma looked up at him. "Did you?"

He pressed his lips into a thin line. "No. The boy did. Lily's son."

Her eyes widened. "Harry went after him? I told them to go back to their dorms! Oh God, is he okay?"