Chapter 13: Touch-down

"An hour is a long time to fly a helicopter when you're looking down at a map without help while your partners are busy SNORING behind you," Y/N stated as Nat made her way to the seat beside them when they were just a few minutes from landing, "...loudly, might I add. You snore like a hog."

Both Nat and Yelena had passed out within minutes of taking off, leaving Y/N alone to navigate.

Stretching her arms up and back, Nat laughed as she grabbed the map to check and see where they were. It looked as though they were now within minutes of landing at their first base.

"We're almost there, you did fine. Drama queen," she responded laying the map back down where it was before returning to the back to wake Yelena who must have been having a crazy dream. As soon as Nat touched her arm to wake her, she jumped into a sitting position and prepared herself for whatever was there.

Though Nat had woken her by sisterly surprise a few days ago, this was a little alarming. She was able to tell that Yelena was on edge today from the moment she saw her this morning.

Yelena allowed no room for questions and stood immediately, walking to the front to see how close they were. The dream she'd been having was treacherous. She was back in the red room, getting beat into submission once again. Any distraction right now was better than nothing.

Y/N smiled as they watched her walk up beside them, grabbing the map just as her sister did before sitting down. Her eyes stretched wide as she tried waking herself up enough to understand where they were.

"How much longer?" She asked before setting the map back down.

Without responding, Y/N began the descent to a building just a mile outside of the base. The three would drop on this abandoned building in order to not be seen, but still be close enough to get back if need be.

"Do you want me to take over the landing?" Yelena asked, placing the headset on and preparing to help.

They laughed, wondering how she could fly a helicopter but not drive a car, "No, I've got it."

"Why are you laughing?" She asked with a thicker than usual accent and furrowed eyebrows, "Do you not think I can do it?"

"I never said that," They answered while still continuing to refrain from making eye contact with her.

Irritation began setting in as she adjusted her headset and flipped on all her control to begin helping. It had been a while since she'd flown, but she was sure it wouldn't be difficult to remember since this helicopter was a bit older anyway.

When Y/N noticed, they shrugged knowing they wouldn't be able to stop her anyways. Her stubbornness would always win, no matter what stood in her way.

As they got closer to the building, Y/N began noticing a little difficulty in the way the helicopter was maneuvering. When they tried to pull left to center themselves on the roof, the controls would jerk back the other way quickly.

It didn't take long to notice the way Yelena was yanking on her control wheel and not paying attention to the way they were attempting to land it. At the rate she was going, the helicopter was absolutely not going to make it onto the building where it needed to be. They'd be lucky if it didn't crash going down, honestly.

"What are you doing?!" They yelled.

Her head shook at the sound of Y/N's voice blaring through the headset, "CHRIST! You know I can hear you just fine without you yelling, right?!"

"Oh my god, I don't care. Let go of the fucking controls!"

The tone in Y/N's voice was enough to push Yelena over the edge, "YOU let go of the fucking controls! Clearly, you don't know what you're doing!"

Tension was building quickly, pushing Nat to step to the front and attempt to intervene. Unfortunately, they couldn't hear a word she was saying.

"Yelena! I flew us the whole way here! Just let go of the controls and let me get us down safely!"

Finally, Nat jumped in and just sat on Yelena's lap, shutting all of her controls off and doing her best to hold Yelena's hands so that she couldn't touch anything. Y/N took this small window of time to focus on landing.

"You guys are so annoying. I can't stand either of you, this is stupid," was on the nicer end of things Yelena was yelling out at both Nat and Y/N.

Finally, the three landed on the building allowing Nat to stand and quickly run from Yelena, who chased her down while Y/N laughed. The sisters continued fighting for the next couple of minutes while Y/N shut off the helicopter and looked around to make sure no one was in sight.

One would think Nat and Yelena were children again by the way they were chasing each other. When Y/N finished making sure everything was set, they watched the way the two ran after each other, yelling and laughing.

This was a side of Nat that Y/N had never seen in their years of friendship. It wasn't even until recently that they learned she even had a sister. Seeing her like this was incredible and they were glad they got to witness it.

"GET BACK HERE YOU BITCH!" Yelena yelled as she laughed a bit after a few minutes of chasing her and Nat being just out of her grip.

This time, Nat ran over behind Y/N, putting them between her and her sister. The three were now laughing uncontrollably as the two tried their best to get around them.

Just as Yelena went to step around Y/N, they grabbed her by the waist and locked their hands behind her back, pulling her so close that their bodies were now pressed tightly against each other, "NAT RUN!"

Nat wasted no time running from behind Y/N, grabbing her things, and darting out of the helicopter door. Being so focused on running out, she hadn't even noticed that Yelena had stopped struggling.

Feeling Y/N so close to her made her entire body freeze while they held her tight and laughed beside her ear. She felt her heart sink as she wanted to just melt into them.

Once they heard Nat jump out of the helicopter, Y/N whispered, "If I let you go, are you going to hurt me?" they laughed a bit without pulling back to see her face.

Her body was still frozen, causing her response to stick in her mind instead of come out of her mouth. Y/N took her silence and nonresistance as a sign, pulling her into a hug now.

"I'm sorry if I upset you, Yelena," Y/N whispered as they squeezed her into a hug, feeling her arms finally wrap around them as well, "I'm sorry if I went too far. I won't do that again."

Hearing this, Yelena felt even worse than she had this morning when she ran up to her bedroom to escape the conversation with Y/N. She didn't want them to feel bad. They did nothing wrong, she just couldn't help but run from anything that felt good.

Instead of responding, she pulled her head back to look at their face. The silence between them now wasn't uncomfortable as they stared longingly at each other. All they wanted to do was crash into each other as they had the night before, but they knew now that it could not happen again.

"Don't be sorry," She finally replied before letting go of them and heading to pick her stuff up to meet Nat outside.

It wasn't a long or in-depth response, but it was enough for Y/N to feel better about everything.