Chapter Nine: Lacey

Title: Lacey

~*~

'Have you paid the ferryman?'

~*~

The cool light of fluorescent doesn't do the honeyed gold of her hair justice.

Doe eyes meet him, a striking green. Pure, like freshly cut grass on a spring morning. The navy-coloured suit she wears counters the sunny shade of her slightly curly hair. She sports mid-length tassels, cut neatly just above her shoulders. She looks like she had it done this morning by the looks of it .

"Hartmann, Lacey."

Sitting at his desk with a pen pressed to his lips, the CIA agent observes her while ignoring the small hand in front of him. A tall, fit man in his late 20's, face clean-shaven, hair like pure chocolate, combed neatly to the side but for a large rogue curl that falls on his brow. He collects it between his fingers and attempts to tuck it back in place.

"I don't do partners, sweetcheeks." he retorts after a short glance and turns away from the young agent, returning to his computer to browse a file he was just reading before she interrupted him.

An amused sigh passes through her plump lips as she shakes her head with sheer disbelief. "Do you have it any more cliche than that?"

"I might, depending on how long you are going to loom over there, princess." August shoots back and slightly adjusts the tie around his shirt collar, not bothering to face the young woman again. It's obvious what this is: a muzzler, or rather a babysitter in the form of a really good-looking girl.

He fights the temptation to take another gander at the way her hair frames the apples of her rosy cheeks.

"But since you're already here, how about you fulfil your purpose in life and get me a cup of coffee? Double espresso, no sugar."

August shoots her a look, observing her immediate reaction. Lacey's green eyes widen, her mouth slightly opens. She rubs her knuckle between the soft pads of her fingers while thinking of what could be a suitable response to his disrespectful request.

'I guess Erica didn't bother prepping her.'

Sloane, the heartless lioness. She leered at him with that sour look on her face since the day he stepped into the building. He swears the woman must have slices of lemons hidden in her panties. There is not even a drop of respect in those dark eyes whenever he sits in her office. Nor does she harbour any trust in his performance on the field.

'It all just worsened thanks to Ukraine.'

The explosion in the old Soviet power plant killed dozens of innocent lives at the cost of one. Though that man was responsible for the death of thousands, if not more.

'If you want to tear down a building, you better use a fucking hammer.'

That cunt should thank him and promote him.

"Nothing but daddy's boy." That's what she sees in him. He might as well be another dead CIA agent like his father, then. Erased from memory, his great achievements discredited. At least he doesn't have a family to throw to the dogs so they can rip them to shreds.

'Oh Sloane, if only you knew half of the shit that goes beneath that stuck-up nose of yours.'

Releasing another deep sigh, Lacey slumps to the seat in front of him, crossing her long legs together and leaning back in her chair while grabbing the folder on her desk. Her lips clamp together tightly, trying to hide the saltiness on her face. Long lashes curtain her eyes which pretend to read through the file. August rolls his eyes with annoyance, trying to ignore her existence and continue working his way through a case he's been reading before she interrupted him.