14. Forcing Circumstances

Start from the beginning

    "Now that's what I came here to see," Celeste breathed. "Who are they?"

    Estelle bit back a laugh. "The one with longer hair is my Uncle Cassian, Corbin's father. The other is my dad, Azriel."

    Celeste's jaw dropped. "That's your dad?"

    Estelle nodded. "My mom is over there." She gestured to where Seren was standing with Jorah and Devlon.

    "No wonder you and your brother are so gorgeous." Celeste was still staring. Sienna elbowed her and she closed her mouth.

    "I'm sure Lys would appreciate hearing you say that," Estelle snorted.

    "Hey, Little Bat!" Cassian hollered. He and Azriel had broken off sparring. Cassian sheathed his sword and undid the wraps from around his hands. "Where's Corbin?"

    "Showing some of the Peregryns around," Estelle replied. "Did you need him for something?"

    "Not for anything important." Cassian swung himself over the fence and ruffled Estelle's hair as he walked by. "I'll find him soon enough. Welcome back." With a flap of his wings, he took off.

    Azriel tugged a shirt on as he approached. "Who are your friends?"

    "This is Celeste and Sienna. I live with them in the Dawn Court."

    "I see." Azriel gave each of them a short nod. "Welcome to the Night Court. A word of advice, don't anger Devlon, but if you do, make sure it's over something Jorah will side with you on."

    "Shouldn't you be telling us not to anger anyone in general?" Sienna laughed.

    "Maybe, but I know my daughter." Estelle stiffened as Azriel's hazel gaze met her own amber one. "It's difficult for her to get along with people."

    Celeste and Sienna glanced at each other. "We'll go find one of the Boys and figure out where we're staying," Celeste said, touching Estelle's arm gently. She gave them a small nod and the females headed off.

    Estelle crossed her arms. "Is that your way of being subtle? You're a spymaster. You can do better than that."

    "So can you. Seren told me what you said about Mikael and how you reacted to her. Rhys mentioned a few things too."

    "Does anyone in this family believe in personal privacy?" Estelle muttered.

    Azriel gripped her shoulder. "Estelle, there's more to this than you think. I know you're hurt, but did you ever think that Mikael might be too? Give him another chance and maybe he'll give you one. Try to get along. If not for your own sake, then for Rhys', and someday, Nyx's."

    Estelle sighed, but relented with a nod. Azriel smiled and pulled her against his chest, hugging her tightly. "It's good to see you. I didn't realize how much I'd miss you and Lys."

    "It's good to see you too, Dad." Estelle hugged him back. "I missed you." Azriel pressed a kiss to the top of her head as she drew away.

    "So was that the Celeste that Lys has been telling Seren about?" Azriel asked.

    "Yes. I didn't realize he'd mentioned her."

    Azriel smirked. "He thinks she's very pretty."

    Estelle grinned. "Twenty silver marks says he makes a move on her in three months."

    "Forty and in two."

    "Deal. I should go see Mom and find out where I'm staying."

    Azriel grimaced. "You're staying there." He pointed to a hut. It was the same one she'd seen Nyx, Mikael, Lysander, and Calden enter. Celeste and Sienna were there too, now. They vanished inside.

    "Oh. All right." Estelle set off. I'll put my stuff away first and then find Mom, she thought. The shadows almost seemed to pull her towards the hut.

    Estelle entered and saw Celeste and Sienna sitting in one of three bedrooms. Calden and Nyx were in the other. She furrowed her brows, catching no sight of Lysander. Estelle paused in the doorway of the last bedroom. Mikael lay on his back, his wings draped over either side of the bed. They almost took up all of the floor space.

    "I am not sharing a room with you," Estelle spat.

    "Your High Lady says you are." Mikael didn't open his eyes. He folded his hands beneath his head.

    Estelle smothered a growl and tossed her bag onto her bed. "Keep your feathers on your side of the room."

    "Keep the shadows on yours." He cracked an eye open and watched her, almost as though he were expecting a specific reaction.

    "You'd better not snore."

    "You'd better not talk in your sleep."

    "I don't." Estelle crossed her arms with a glare.

    "Good." Mikael closed his eyes again. "It could be worse, you know. You might be sharing with your brother."

    "I'd prefer Lys over you."

    "And why is that?"

    "Because he's my brother."

    "And?"

    "And I trust him."

    Mikael sat up. "You can trust me too, Batsy."

    "Stop calling me that, and I'll decide if I can or can't trust you, Feathers," Estelle sneered. Mikael watched her, his gaze unreadable. At last, he stood and left the room, closing the door quietly behind him. "Who's in the lead now?" She asked the shadows.

    The Angel of Dawn.

    "Traitors."