Chapter 6 - Untrust

Mikan called up to you happily when she saw you enter the classroom, and you responded by engulfing her in a hug. "Good morning, Mikan!"

"Did you receive any letters?"

You looked down, shaking your head solemnly. "My parents willingly got me here. They knew communication would be impossible here. They never sent me letters either."

"Oh," she hugged you once again, comforting you. "I'm sorry…"

"How about you, Mikan?" You asked, changing the subject.

"I never got any letters either… I want to see how grandpa is doing." You stared at her in pity. Since you and her got enrolled at the same time, you knew she ran away just to come here. Meaning, her grandpa never had any contact with her.

In the end, she had to ask a classmate with divination alice to see how her grandfather is doing.

"Your grandfather seems to be outside of the academy."

Mikan beamed in surprise, coming to a conclusion that he must be there to see her.

"He's at the door saying, 'let me see my grand daughter.', but his request is being denied repeatedly."

Mikan made the decision to run, with Tobita stopping her, "Unless it's specially permitted, a student is not allowed to be near gates."

"I don't care if I get punished! I want to see grandpa, he must be worried for me—"

When Mikan did not listen, Hotaru ended up covering her figure in a basket, another invention she made.

"Idiot. The class representatives are allowed to be with their families at least once a year. You know how severe the punishment would be if you go."

Mikan now was crying, and you rushed to comfort the girl. Hotaru decided to use her secret spy bug to see what Mikan’s grandfather is doing outside of the academy.

However, what unfolded shocked all of you.

Mikan's grandfather was right outside of the academy, on his knees begging for the guard to let him see his granddaughter. He was coughing, and his health seemed to be deteriorating.

You covered your mouth, turning your gaze away. Mikan’s eyes were wide in horror.

"There was a sudden telegram telling me that my granddaughter is in the academy. There was no word after that, I was so worried that I couldn't sleep! Please…" Her grandpa continued to yell through the speakers.

"What is going on?!" Mikan shrieked in surprise as the screen became all black. "What does he mean 'there was no word after that'? I sent letters everyday!"

"Delivery is impossible." Natsume spoke, catching all of you off guard. "Did you really think that the teacher would let you communicate with the outside world? Especially a troublesome devil like you?"

"Natsume! What are you blabbering out?" You interrupted, furrowing your brows. He turned his gaze towards you sharply, narrowing his eyes. "You know it too."

"But Narumi promised me…"

"Then what about the letters you sent?" At that, Mikan fell silent.

"I'll tell you this. Narumi never sent and will never send out your letters. Especially to us, the ones targeted by the academy." You averted your gaze away, the horrible memories starting to flash in once again. It made your knees weaken, collapsing on the seat.

"What's the matter, are you alright?" Mikan asked as she sat beside you, trying to conceal the look of confusion plastered on her face. You looked down, and you hated to admit it but what Natume said was true.