Chapter 3 - The Warning

You hid behind a tree, watching every move Ruka made as he played with the chick, he played until some middle schoolers distracted the chick with food.

“You promised, you wouldn’t look.” Ruka grumbled, the veins popping out of his forehead due to anger rising in his nerves. Mikan laughed at him, teasing him that they saw his true colors already. He made a run for it.

“Ruka,” Hotaru called, she was holding a picture of him, and it made him fume. In the end, he had no choice but to go with them.

Whilst walking, Mikan exposed Ruka. “Ha! I’ve seen your true colors now! You aren’t really mean and you’re just forcing yourself to be.”

You began thinking about what Mikan said. “Why are you pretending? I know you aren’t really mean.”

“I won’t smile, because Natsume doesn’t smile.”

“Oh, you’re mimicking Natsume?” Mikan chimed in, causing his brows to curl in anger, “But why would you want to mimic someone with a bad attitude like Natsume?” what she said made Ruka explode.

“Don’t say things like that when you know nothing!” His voice was so loud, it startled Hotaru and Tobita. “There’s no way you’ll understand, considering you don’t have an unwanted alice!”

Silence covered the area around, and before you knew it, Mikan was apologizing to Ruka. “Whatever, forget it.” Ruka mumbled dismissively as he walked ahead of the group.

You followed suit, starting to understand Hotaru. Mikan just likes to speak what’s in her mind, failing to read the room. You can tell how big this problem is going to cause you. “Mikan,” you called, “instead of butting in people’s noses, try to figure out what your alice is instead.”

You spoke before walking once again, and Hotaru followed. However, you heard thunderous footsteps roaring on the ground. You turned back, and behind Mikan, you saw Natsume. He stood tall, his eyes boring holes through your head as he glared at you darkly. It's almost as if he was more mad at you than Mikan. You looked around, only to see your friends gazing at you with their eyes widened in fear. It was enough to let you know that you were the one Natsume was staring at. Your eyes widened, your pupils shaking as he stomped towards you.

“Let’s go back, Ruka.” he growled, “The test is over. That girl failed.”

“What?!” you exclaimed, looking towards Mikan. Natsume pushes you on the ground, his eyes sharp as he forms his hands into fists. “You angered me, really. I told you not to go, I made myself clear.”

“Stop it, Natsume!” Ruka yelled in concern, “I’m fine!”

“Well I didn’t care anyway. What? Did you expect me to react like crazy?” Natsume gripped your hair tightly, his other hand lighting on fire. You struggled, glaring at him. His grip was iron-like, it hurts.

“Stop it!” Your friends yelled to no avail. They were being ignored, even Ruka couldn’t stop Natsume from harming you.

“You’re pissing me off. You think you look cool? It makes me want to peel your skin off your face. Were you the one who manipulated Ruka here? Damn you and your dirty tricks.” He whispered, standing up while keeping his death stare. You kept silent and glared back at him as well, and before you knew it, all you felt was warmth spreading through your body. No, you were being engulfed in fire. A fire that then proceeded to spread, circling around you. Terrified, you let out a scream, trying to summon a portal, which got burnt by his fire.

“Natsume!” Ruka yelled in concern, his eyes darting between you and his best friend.

“This is what I do to my enemies and to those who disobey me.” He whispered, glaring at you darkly, watching you cower in fear. He turned his attention toward Mikan, but before he could do anything, Hotaru threw a smoke grenade, catching him off guard. For a moment he felt lost and almost deactivated his ability on you but gathered his composure and made the fire even stronger, circling it around Hotaru and Tobita.