Suprise

It wasn’t common that both you and Rafael got a day off, never mind a day off together. But sometimes luck is on your side. The two of you took the liberty of sleeping in and then you decided to get lunch. You picked a restaurant a little further away than usual to avoid bumping into anyone you knew.

Your lunch date was movie-like. Even though people were in and out you felt as though you were the only people there. You’re finally relaxed and allow yourself to put your guard down and laugh. The both of you have finished lunch and are now simply enjoying drinks and each other’s company.

“It’s been over 2 months since we’ve been able to spend a day like this together.”, Rafael says.

“I know, it’s ridiculous. I mean we work together nearly every day and essentially live together but we rarely have a chance to actually go on a date.”

“Yeah, that has me thinking.”

“Uh-oh, your always thinking, Rafi. Take a day off, mi Rey”

Rafael chuckles and grabs hold of your hand over the table. “Maybe we should go public with our relationship. I mean, tell the squad so we don’t have to hide and be paranoid all the time. Plus, then I can finally kiss you while at work.”, he finishes with a wink.

You don’t want to have to hide but you’re nervous about what the squad will think. Or say. The squad is your second family and you know they’ll be happy so long as you are so you don’t know why you’re nervous.

“Yeah, I think it’s time we tell them. How do you break the news? I mean we’ve been together for nearly 6 months, I think they’ll be a little upset that we kept it a secret for so long.”

Benson and Carisi are out of their neighbourhood to meet a potential victim. They had planned to meet at a restaurant for lunch on her own turf to ensure she was as comfortable as possible. They’re walking to their table when Carisi does a double-take.

“Is that-?”

Benson looks to where Carisi is staring and lands on two familiar figures. You and Rafael are sharing a table. At first, Benson tries to rationalize that they’re meeting for work purposes. But, it’s their day off and they don’t have a shared case together at the moment. Plus, they’re holding hands over the table and are more intimate than co-workers should be.

“Are they on a date?”, Carisi asks aloud.

“I’m not sure, guess there’s only one way to find out.”

Benson follows Carisi to your table.

Rafael is stroking comforting circles with his thumb on your hand. The moment of relaxation and comfort is broken when Benson and Carisi walk up to your table.

“Afternoon.”, Benson says.

You and Rafael look up to see your captain and fellow detective.

“Hi…”, you draw out.

You feel Rafael’s hand tense, slightly squeezing yours.

“You’re not keeping secrets from us are you, Barba? As ADA you know that rule number one is to tell us everything, no secrets because we’ll find out.”, Carisi teases.

Rafael rolls his eyes dramatically.

You look at Rafael and say, “I think I know how we’re gonna tell the squad.”

Rafael smiles and lets a laugh out through his nose, “Yeah.”.

Rafael looks back to the two squad members, “Well, I suppose there’s no point in lying. No time like the present, we’re together. We’ve been dating for about 6 months now.”

Benson and Carsi’s eyes widen in shock, it seems that the two of you did a really good job at keeping your relationship under wraps.

“Surprise…”, you draw out