Chapter 55: End of the Line

Start from the beginning

Waiting like a panther ready to strike, Rumi listened as the three sets of footsteps suddenly stopped ten feet from her hiding place.

"Sir, my quirk is telling me someone is close. Within fifteen feet of our position." The other brainwashed agent announced quietly.

Rumi resisted the urge to sigh in annoyance. Of course one of the agents had a sensory detection quirk. Now there was no way she was going to take them by surprise.

Rumi felt a bead of cold sweat run down the back of her neck as the sound of guns being raised reached her ears.

"Understood, proceed with caution." Izuku said apathetically.

As the trio of agents slowly advanced, Rumi steeled herself for what she was about to do. Right as the lead agent stepped in front of her, Rumi kicked them so hard in the ribs they were sent flying into the opposite tunnel wall with a heavy thump.

Bursting from her hiding spot, Rumi leaped up and bounced off the ceiling in a blur of motion, already anticipating the firestorm of bullets about to be sent her way.

However, all that met her was silence.

Coming to a stop, Rumi was shocked to see that Izuku had quickly put his second subordinate in a tight sleeperhold. A few seconds later, Izuku dropped the unconscious body of the agent to the floor and held up his hands.

"Wait!" He whispered frantically. "I am on your side! I was..." He trailed off as he finally got a good look at who had been about to ambush him.

"Rumi?!"

Rumi felt like her heart was about to explode from anxiety as she cautiously kept her distance from the heavily armed Izuku.

"Is that you Izuku?" She said warily. "I mean the real you. Not the bloodthirsty psychopath I saw on the news."

The confusion was evident in Izuku's voice as he took off his gas mask. "Rumi I d-dont know what is going on. I woke up today and found out I am working with Oscar of all people! I c-cant remember much, but I swear on my mother's life that I am not going to hurt you. Please, I need your help."

Feeling like a gigantic weight had been lifted from her shoulders, Rumi could not help but rush forward and hug her (surprisingly scruffy-looking) lover.

"Oh thank god!" Rumi exclaimed in relief as she clung to her tall soulmate. "I knew it! I knew that wasn't you! I knew that there was a reason you were acting so weird!"

While it was a little awkward to hug Izuku over all the tactical equipment on his body, Rumi did not care in the slightest.

"Rumi what the fuck happened to me?" Izuku asked as he kissed the top of his girlfriend's head.

Pulling back slightly, Rumi gave Izuku a concerned look. "I don't know Izuku. You said you don't remember much, what is the last thing you clearly remember?"

"Getting killed by the harbinger." Izuku said quietly. "The only thing I remember a-after t-that is um...Hawks t-telling y-you about w-what I d-d-did to s-save your life."

Rumi was about to speak up but was cut off by Izuku frantically blundering forward while trying to explain himself.

"I'm so sorry I didn't tell you!" Izuku said with fear and self-loathing tinging his voice. "I just...I couldn't lose you. I wouldn't! I know what I did was wrong, b-but it w-was my only option! Please...don't hate me..."

Feeling her boyfriend shake in fear, Rumi reached up and pulled his face down to look in her eyes. "Izuku, I could never hate you. Yes, what you did was wrong. But we can't change the past. I still love you with all my heart, and I would never abandon you."