up for fresh air (remus's version)

Remus was accustomed to large surges of emotions and the subsiding pain that followed, usually in the form of a migraine

It always happened before and after the full moons. Pounding in his skull, blurring of his thoughts, buzzing in his brain.

This, however, was different.

It was a bit later in the evening, somewhere between 10 o'clock and midnight, and Remus could not sleep.

Two beds over, Sirius was snoring. Remus knew this only happened when Sirius dipped into his deepest of sleeps; after a particularly raging party, for example. Or, in this case: after a full moon which occurred the night before the first day of classes.

Because it was Remus's fault that Sirius had not slept the night prior, Remus felt he could not be mad. But the droning seemed to echo in his brain like a siren whose emergent call was never answered.

It made it quite impossible to think. And Remus had a lot to think about.

Finally, Remus tossed aside his covers and tore out of his bed. He pulled a jumper over his head and slipped quietly out of the room. (If there was one thing worse than Sirius's snoring, it was what followed when the snoring stopped).

Remus stepped dizzily down the stone stairs. His head felt swollen, but not from the moon.

At the bottom, he was surprised to see James still awake and working on the floor by the fire.

"Hey, Prongs," Remus said, rubbing one eye and flopping onto the deep red couch.

"Oh, hey, Moons. Why are you up?"

"Sirius is snoring again," Remus shrugged. Not a total lie.

"Ah."

James chuckled slightly and twirled his quill around his fingers. Remus knew what was coming next.

"No," he interjected before James could ask. "There's nothing else."

"You didn't know I would ask that," James said defensively. Remus tipped his head and glared jokingly at his friend who then caved and sighed: "Alright, fine."

Remus grinned satisfactorily and pulled his legs up into a criss-cross position on the couch.

"What are you working on?" He asked. James rolled his eyes and slipped his book shut, leaving his quill inside to hold his page.

"Shut up, Moony," he groaned. "Tell me about Syd."

"About... Huh?"

"Oh, please,"  - James took up a very maternal look, folding his hands in his lap and peering over his glasses - "I know you fancy her."

"It's only been one day," said Remus, hoping his chuckle wasn't actually as nervous as it felt.

"Two, technically."