9. Uneasy Beginnings

Start from the beginning

    Lysander joined Mikael and Nyx shortly. "I'm staying here until Estelle is taken care of," he said. He leaned towards Nyx and whispered, "She's still nervous."

    Mikael glanced over their heads and spied Estelle hovering near Corbin. Her cousin had an arm around her shoulders and was laughing at something Calden had said. Shadows hovered thick around her, as though they were attempting to hide her from view.

    I'm supposed to apologize to her, Mikael reminded himself. That might be difficult to do, considering I still don't feel sorry about it. Besides, if she's feeling so nervous, she won't be willing to accept an apology, or give one in return. I'll just do it later.

    Celeste and Sienna were called forward shortly. Ameer extended a hand towards Estelle. Her throat bobbed and her legs were stiff as she pried herself away from Corbin. Nyx and Lysander gave her encouraging smiles. Briefly, Estelle's gaze met Mikael's. She looked away abruptly and followed Celeste and Sienna down a street in between the barracks.

    Only Mikael, Calden, and the three Illyrian males were left now. Ameer clapped his hand on Mikael's shoulder, squeezing it. "I'll see you at training tomorrow morning. Behave yourself."

    "Yes, Father," Mikael replied, fighting the urge to roll his eyes. He took the lead, and Calden and the Illyrians followed.

◦═══✦═══◦

    Estelle gazed around the barrack, if it could even be called that. It seemed more like a small cottage than anything. It was certainly nicer than the huts at Windhaven, and those had been slightly improved upon since Estelle first saw them.

    The front door opened up into one large main room that served as both a living and dining room. There was a small kitchen in one corner of the area, lit by several windows. There was a fireplace in the kitchen and in the living room. Beyond the main room was a narrow hallway. Estelle spied three doors and a short staircase towards the back of the hall.

    "This is my room and that's Sienna's," one of the Peregryn females said. She stuck out her honey brown hand. Estelle shook it hesitantly. "I'm Celeste." The female grinned, her silver eyes sparkling.

    "This room is the bathroom," Sienna added, opening the third door in the hallway. "We all have to share it. There's two more bedrooms upstairs. One of them is yours. You can choose whichever you'd like. Neither of them are used anyway."

    "Just the two of you live here?" Estelle asked as she mounted the stairs.

    "Yeah. Most females our age still live with their families, but we wanted a place of our own. No one can tell us not to stay out late with Mikael and Calden," Celeste laughed.

    So that's why I recognize their scents. They're the females I smelled on Mikael, Estelle realized. The shadows were silent, but she felt their instant jealousy. Oh, come on. I thought you all decided that he's an arrogant prick. They didn't reply.

    Estelle reached the second floor and opened the doors to both bedrooms. Sienna and Celeste hovered behind her, waiting for her to choose. "Do you spend a lot of time with Mikael and Calden?" She asked.

    "Pretty much any free time we have," Sienna replied, flipping a long blonde braid over her shoulder. "The four of us are practically inseparable."

    Celeste brushed hazelnut curls from her forehead. "Mikael told us about your little spat."

    Estelle stiffened and the shadows coiled around her arms. She hadn't spoken to Mikael yet. Suppose these two females already disliked her on his behalf? She didn't want to spend two weeks living with people who didn't like her.

    "It was our fault he showed up to the meeting half drunk," Sienna sighed. "We played a Truth or Dare drinking game where if you choose a dare, you have to drink so many shots, usually with different kinds of alcohol. Mikael isn't one to back down from a dare of any kind."

    "I...see," Estelle answered slowly.

    "Mikael is a good male," Celeste piped in. "But he's always a little touchy when he's hungover. Albeit, he's touchy any time his father's authority and honor is questioned."

    "Why is that?" Estelle asked. The shadows were already whispering the answer to her. She didn't hear what Sienna said in response.

    The Prince of Sunrises is questioned and doubted, the shadows said. He carries the judgement of his people. He carries the shame of his birth.

    He's a bastard, Estelle realized. I suppose that makes sense.

    He is eager to please. He is eager to defend.

    So am I. Perhaps there was more to Thesan's son than she thought. She would surely find out in the coming weeks.

    "So which room do you want?" Celeste asked, drawing her out of her thoughts. "You were in your own little world there."

    "I was talking to my shadows. And I'll use this room, if that's all right." Estelle gestured to the one on the left side of the hall.

    Celeste and Sienna nodded and followed her inside. "Talking to your shadows?" Sienna raised an eyebrow. "What does that mean?"

    "I'm a Shadowsinger. These," Estelle held up a hand and her shadows wove in between her fingers, "are my shadows. They can talk to me and I can talk to them."

    "Mikael has told me a little about Shadowsingers. I've never met one before though."

    "My father and I are the only ones in Prythian, to my knowledge," Estelle replied. "Shadowsingers are more rare than mates."

    Celeste laughed with a nod. "Mates are becoming more and more common. I have to wonder why."

    "You're the romantic," Sienna swatted her shoulder. "Haven't you come up with an explanation yet?"

    Estelle smiled as the two began to exchange friendly quips. She might like living with these females after all. She studied her new room as they spoke. It was smaller than the room across the hall, but had a walk in closet and a bay window. There was a small bookcase built into the bottom of the window seat. Several books rested in it.

    A vanity sat near the closet, along with a wash basin. The bed was angled in a corner on the other side of the room. Sheer curtains covered it. There were two small tables on either side of the bed and a doorless cabinet which contained blankets.

    "We make meals together and you'll be expected to help," Sienna called, catching Estelle's attention. She gave a short nod. "Training begins mid morning and lasts two hours. We break for lunch and then train for two more hours. What we do after that is our own business."

    "We could show you around a few cities close by," Celeste offered.

    "All right," Estelle agreed. "As long as my brother and cousins can come along."

    "Of course. I can't wait to meet them."

    Sienna nudged Celeste towards the door. "We'll leave you to get settled. Let us know if you need anything."

    They left the room, closing the door behind them. Estelle exhaled slowly and sat on the edge of her bed. So far, so good, she thought. I suppose I'll have to apologize to Mikael soon. Maybe at training tomorrow. I doubt I'll see him before then. I hope the Boys are doing well. She gave a wry laugh. Of course they are. They're with each other and I'm by myself with complete strangers.

    She'd never been on her own with strangers before. As long as she could remember, she'd been with someone familiar. Nyx had always been there, and when Lysander and Corbin came along, they were with her too.

    Estelle squared her shoulders, attempting to push her anxieties aside. It was bound to happen someday. Why not now? I'd start out on my own in the Blood Rite. This is just practice for that.

    At least Sienna and Celeste seem nice. I'm sure I'll be fine on my own. It's not like Nyx, Lys, and Corbin are back in the Night Court. I'll still see them every day. Rhys trusts me to do this and not disappoint, she reminded herself. So I'll do it. I got myself into this mess and I'll get myself out of it.