41

——

——

The bright sun shined right through the window. Emelina's skin glistened and glowed the perfect yellow, and with JJ being so close to her, his blue eyes could not remove themselves from her features. They moved down to her lips, her neck, and then her hair that blew from the wind passing through the open windows.

His tongue ran past his lips, and she finally turned her head to offer him a small smile. He returned one while closing his eyes, his profane thoughts slipping away at the new conversation that developed.

"They're fancy people. They've had three governors in the family. They've run Charleston for, like, 300 years." Kiara started spitting out facts about the Limbreys as Pope drove closer to their destination the very next morning.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues," JJ commented as he stared out the window to catch a glimpse of the massive mansions on the street.

Pope brought the truck to a halt in front of a three-story white house. All eyes looked at it, nearly in awe and JJ had to question it. "You sure this is the place, Pope?"

"Pretty sure,"

"Alright," JJ said and motioned Emelina to open the car passenger side door, to which she did. They all climbed out of the vehicle and stood in front of the house. "Fat City, for sure."

Pope raised the brown letter up for confirmation. "Twenty-seven King Street."

Tall black iron gates surrounded the entrance and all heads looked at the top which had a large variety of spikes. "Talk about home security." JJ said and pointed upwards, "Are those spikes to keep people out?"

"No," Kiara shook her head slightly. Pope used his finger to guide their gaze through the iron bars. "The slave quarters are over there... These spikes were to keep people in."

A chill ran down Emelina's spine at the thought. She already had bad feelings about this place the second they pulled up to it. Pope was the first to walk through the gate and the rest follow him all the way up to the porch.

He used the door knocker to alert the owners, the loud knocks echoing throughout the porch. "You think that was too much?" Pope asked them, stepping backward in hopes someone would answer after being very late to the scheduled meeting.

"It echoed the entire house. That's for sure. So they definitely heard it." JJ told him, humor coating his voice. Kiara looked at the door as she spoke, "Maybe nobody's home."

"Or they're mad you're late," Emelina threw it out there. Pope frowned and tried knocking again, but on the third knock, the door swung right open and a man revealed himself on the other side. He smirked at the sight of Pope and pointed at him, "You must be Pope."

"Um..." Pope looked around at his friends before turning back to the man, "Are you Mr. Limbrey?"

"Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday." he corrected immediately. Pope stuttered on his words, "Oh. I'm... I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here,"