19

——

——

"E, are you listening?"

Emelina drew her head from her thoughts and turned to the side to look at Kiara. "Hmm?" she asked, looking back at the car window beside her. She found herself in Heyward's truck after John B and Sarah took off.

"As I was saying," Pope cleared his throat as he pulled up to the Chateau, "we gotta be done before my scholarship interview in the morning."

"Yeah, yeah. We just have to focus." Emelina nodded. Kiara gave her a look and nudged her, "Yeah, you gotta focus. Is everything okay up in that head of yours?"

Emelina wanted to say no. There was still no sign of JJ. He was all she had been thinking about since he ran off at the drug dealer's house. "I'm fine, Kie."

"He'll come around, alright?" Kiara assured. Emelina hated how well she knew her. Her words did help a little, though, but she said nothing in return. Kiara asked Pope to continue explaining the plan. 

"Okay, so we got John B and JJ inside the well and me and Emelina up top. You and Sarah will be outside transporting." Pope explained and turned off the engine of the truck.

"Yeah, we got this," Kiara breathed out, waiting for Emelina to exit the vehicle, and she did. Beeping sounds became apparent, but Emelina concluded it was probably The Cut related and paid no attention to it.

She followed the two behind the truck, where Pope opened the cargo bed. "Uh, I got a winch. That tin can hold over like... 200, 300 pounds."

"Listen, I just wanted to say thank you, guys." Kiara smiled warmly. Emelina crossed her arms and squinted her eyes. "Thanks for what?"

"Stranding us. You know, making us make up," she replied, referring to her and Sarah. "What makes you think—"

Pope's voice was cut off due to whirring sounds coming from nowhere. Suddenly, lights plastered on the nearby trees flickered on, and a loud engine roared in the night. "What the hell?"

"Who is that?" Emelina was the first to follow after the noise. Various multicolored lights were wrapped and hanging on the branches of trees. She gulped when she spotted JJ sitting in a new jacuzzi that was previously never there. He popped open the champagne bottle.

A massive sigh of relief escaped her lips when she caught sight of him, but she had a feeling in her gut that something was wrong. His messy blonde hair hung loosely above his blue eyes, which were covered with sunglasses.

Floating, blown-up flamingoes swam around him as he lowered his glasses down. JJ had no shirt on, and the only thing visible on his chest was a long necklace.

"What did you do, JJ?" Emelina moved her eyes back to his and waited for him to say something.

"I got a jet going straight in my butt right now," he spoke and laughed, but his voice slurred slightly. She found another empty champagne bottle on the floor next to the hot tub.