33

——

——

"Emelina! Where are you?" Kiara's voice called out in the dark restaurant. Crickets were heard outside and the silent night only made Kiara fret a little more. "Emelina?" she asked once more before flicking the lights on.

The brunette sat against the wall with her hand clutching the whiskey bottle from earlier to her chest. Her eyes remained on the floor, barely reacting to her friend's worried words.

"What's going on? Why are you at The Wreck at 2 AM? Your text didn't give me any details." Kiara threw out, unable to pinpoint her friend's unordinary state.

"My heart hurts," Emelina replied simply.

Kiara sat on the floor in front of her, tilting her head in confusion. "Your heart? What did Topper do?"

"Not Topper," she answered and turned her head away.

Kiara furrowed her eyebrows until her eyes landed on the bottle in Emelina's hand. She grabbed it forcefully, "Whiskey? What has gotten into you? Where did you get this? Why does your heart hurt?"

"Too many questions," Emelina muttered, her eyes barely opening.

Kiara stood up to put her hair in a quick bun before holding her hand out, "Come on, let me help you up."

Emelina nodded and accepted her hand, leaning onto Kiara as she swept her away toward a bar stool. "Sit here while I make you a cup of water and some food."

"I'm not hungry," Emelina said to her, but Kiara ignored her and walked back into the vacant kitchen.

While she was gone, Emelina snuck a few large sips of the whiskey knowing Kiara would be begging for some answers, and right now all she craved for was numbness. The alcohol in her system was not at its peak anymore due to it not touching her tastebuds in a hot minute. She wanted more.

She strolled back to her seat. Moments later, Kiara came out with water and a small tray of fries. "Eat up and then you've got some explaining to do."

Emelina remained quiet as she munched on some fries, making sure to avoid Kiara's staring eyes. "I'd like to eat in peace." she quipped, looking up at her.

"Have you been crying?" Kiara questioned, noticing the tear stains on her cheeks. Emelina wiped them away, "A little."

"Can you tell me what happened?"

"Do you think we're supposed to follow the path given to us?" Emelina asked suddenly, ignoring her friend's question.

"I think you should only follow the path you make, not someone else's. Why? Is this about your mom?" Kiara asked and Emelina shrugged in response.

"I always thought there was going to be a future for Topper and me growing up... I mean, our parents have been calling our destiny for as long as I can remember. Just last week, Topper's mom showed me her family heirloom ring and promised me it as an engagement ring." Emelina paused to remember the diamond ring, "It's a beautiful ring, Kie, but it doesn't belong on me." she cried.