Chapter 16

Despite yesterday's drama, I actually slept through the night. However, that also meant I was awake early the next morning. Now that I was awake, the question that had made it next to impossible to sleep resurfaced. How am I able to see ghosts without the Lost Soul Pendant?

That on top of Dad and everything else was almost too much. Mom hadn't left his side, sleeping at the hospital all the while hoping he'd wake up. We were all hoping that, but I could tell how badly Mom needed it to be true. I rubbed my eyes as I quietly got dressed and swam downstairs. I swam to the kitchen and grabbed some shrimp, nibbling on them as I swam outside.

The sun was just beginning to rise over the water, staining the surface a bright yellow. My mind was moving in a million directions, making it impossible to focus on any one thing. As if summoned by my whirling thoughts, the ghosts reappeared, silent and watchful. "Why are you following me?" I asked, thankful no one was around.

They just stared, their expressions ranging from sadness to disappointment. "What do you want?" I insisted, firmer this time.

One ghost broke free from the group, her brown eyes sad as she gazed at me. Aunt Meri. She pointed a translucent hand toward the direction of the palace, her gaze on mine. I knew what she meant before I even turned around. I started to open my mouth, but before I could so much as utter a sound, they vanished.

I hadn't told anyone about the ghosts, but now I was wondering if maybe I should have. Pulling my cloak tighter around myself, I sped toward the hospital, hoping against hope for some good news. That would distract me from Aunt Meri's silent message. You need to tell Jay's parents about the accident.

I hadn't visited the dungeons since they'd been restored. Who knew what I would find? Before I'd even reached the hospital's entrance, Kai was beside me, slipping his hand into mine. He gently kissed me on the cheek as we swam inside. "Good morning. Did you sleep well?" Despite everything, his smile always made my heart lighter.

I couldn't help my smile, however weak, as I responded. "Yes. You?"

Before he could respond, Mom met us in the waiting room. She looked exhausted. Her curls were limp, her eyes bloodshot. Did you get any sleep last night? I asked, already knowing what the answer would be.

She shook her head, jerking her chin in the direction of Dad's room. I couldn't.

As we swam to his room, I noticed her hands were trembling. When we reached the door, Mom stopped. She didn't say anything, nor did she begin to sign, but I could read the emotion in her eyes as clearly as if it was my own. Fear. Raw, naked fear.

I gently squeezed her hand. Her eyes were wide as she looked at me. I'm right here.

She nodded. Taking a steadying breath, she opened the door, swimming inside. I was next, with Kai behind me. Dad didn't flinch as we swam inside, nor when Kai shut the door behind us. For a moment, I was frozen.

I couldn't breathe as I stared at him. Where was the merman that ruled our kingdom with a smile on his face? The merman that always had a kind word to say, no matter the circumstances? "Can he hear us?" I was surprised to hear myself speak.

Mom shook her head. The doctors aren't sure, but they encouraged me carry on as normal. He hasn't moved since they operated on him. All we can do is wait. The way her hands shook as she signed suggested she wouldn't be able to wait much longer.

I swam to his side, careful not to disturb any of the machines by his bed. "Hey, Dad," I began, my voice trembling as tears slipped down my cheeks. "Drew told me to tell you that he has a cometball game coming up and he hoped you could make it. I heard that his team may even make it to the finals next week." My voice broke off at the end as a sob slipped from my mouth.