Chapter Twenty Seven-Luca/Charlotte

Comincia dall'inizio

I should have known Marco and Charlotte would come up with some kind of crazy scheme. The two of them were dangerous together. A part of me was furious, but I probably would've done the same thing if our positions were reversed.

What the hell was I going to do now? I had no idea if Whitaker was still listening, and I certainly couldn't explain all this to Leila right now. I desperately needed to talk to Charlotte, but it couldn't be here. The only problem was that I was stuck here for now. At least until Angelo and I made our move in the next few days.

Who knew what kind of damage Whitaker amount of time, though?

"Layla, you need to go home and talk to your mom. I don't think you're being fair to her." I said.

"I don't want to talk to her. She's trying to help them take you down."

I rubbed my forehead, trying to figure out how to say this without giving too much away. "Layla, trust me. Just go talk to her. Your mom is doing what is best. Sweetheart, I love you, but you need to go."

It killed me to rush her out of here like this, but I had to figure some things out on my own, and she needed to talk to Charlotte. Hopefully, Charlotte would be honest with her and clear some of this up.

"I love you too, dad. I'm sorry I got you into this mess."

"You don't do anything." I assured her. "This is my fault. Not yours, not your mothers. Go home and talk to her. She needs you right now."

Layla nodded. "Will you call us when you can?"

"Yes." I agreed. "And I'm going to get us all out of this mess, I promise."

Layla and i said our goodbyes, and I was taken back to my cell. I was frantic, trying to figure out how in the hell I was going to talk to Charlotte and explain the situation. She needed to know I didn't want the divorce. She needed to know I had only signed those papers because I thought I was giving her what she wanted.

And I wanted to know what she and Marco are up to.

Charlotte

I was sitting on the back deck, looking out over the water, when I heard the door open behind me. I turned to see Marco standing there with 2 cups of coffee.

"How are you holding up?" He joined me, sitting down next to me and handing me a cup.

I let out a heavy sigh. I wasn't even sure how to answer that question right now. I have been completely blindsided when Whitaker handed me the signed divorce papers, and I felt like my heart has been ripped out of my chest.

Luca was stubborn, and I fully expected him never to sign them. In fact, I was banking on it. Instead, less than 48 hours after I had and then to him, Whitaker was delivering them to me with Luca's fresh signature on it.

For a second, I considered that it might be forged, but I would know his handwriting anywhere. It was real.

"I'm fine." I lied. Honestly, I felt like I was coming apart at the seams. I have been hanging on a thread before this, but now this is just pushed me over the edge.

I never imagined he would give in so easily. That wasn't like Luca. But maybe this was showing me how drastically things between us have changed. Maybe even if he did get out, we weren't the same people we used to be.

"I don't believe that for a second." Marco said.

"I don't really have a choice, Marco." I quipped.

"Of course you do, Char." He cringed. "If you want to do the whole fucking thing right now, we will. You can go file the papers and move on with your life. He's giving you an out."

"Are you out of your mind?" I glared. "I'm not filling the papers. I don't want a divorce, and Luca doesn't either. He loves me more than anything and would do anything in the world for me. I'm sure that's why he signed them, because he thought he was making things easier for me."

Marco chuckled, giving me a smug grin.

"What?" I snipped.

"I know all of that. I was just waiting for you to remember it on your own."

"You could have said something." I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah right." He laughed. "You like things better when they're your idea. I have to make you think you came up with it."

"You're an ass sometimes." I hit his shoulder playfully.

"And you're moody sometimes." He grinned. "Now that we both agree Luca was only doing what he thought you wanted by signing, let's stop this pity party. What time are you meeting Whitaker?"

"About 8."

"Good, in his office, right?"

I nodded.

"Okay. At 8:15, I'm going to cause a disturbance and get him out of the office. You'll have about 7 minutes to get what we need. Think you can do it?"

"I'll do my best." I mustered up a smile.

This better work.